1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scottish Trained Teachers

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by RossC48, Dec 4, 2019 at 2:34 PM.

1. RossC48

RossC48 New commenter

Hi everyone!

I was just curious to find out how easily teachers who trained in Scotland and completed their PGDE there have got on with applying for international schools? With most schools offering GCSE's and A Levels as the qualifications being taught, how much emphasis do the schools put on having experience of teaching these courses? I have only taught up to the Scottish nationals and highers. My subject is computing science and there is quite a fair bit of overlapping between the courses, but lots of parts that are different.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Not really much of a problem, TBH. In my school, there are 6 of us in secondary, including the head of secondary, and another 3 or 4 in primary. In terms of the qualifications, they are looking at your ability to teach them, so although you might have to do a bit of explaining of equivalence - N5 to IGCSE, for example - it should be relatively straightforward. I've only once come up against "snobbery" about teaching Highers against A Levels or IB, enough for me to tell the recruitment agency I wasn't interested even before the school replied (and dodging a bullet, by all accounts!)

Think though about your flexibility. You teach computer science - could you teach Design & Technology? Or even KS3/4 Maths? That would make you more recruitable.

3. amysdad

Have sent you a PM if you want to chat more offline!

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Have a look at IB schools. There are a hell of a lot more of them on the circuit than "british" schools.

5. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Absolutely
    I'm not sure that's true, you know. Plus many of the 'British' schools also offer one of the IB programs.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

from everything I can find it's about double, and the IB is expanding rapidly. I am happy to be proved wrong, but it's difficult to find accurate numbers. if Japan makes its planned move to change all of its primary schools into PYP schools then this will totally blow the British system out of the water.

7. amysdad

Actually, the Scottish curriculum and teaching style does translate better to IB / IPC than to English NC, I think.