1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scottish Text to Speaker - please help!

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by jamesjoyce2, Aug 27, 2018.

1. jamesjoyce2

jamesjoyce2 New commenter

Hi

I used to teach in Scotland though unfortunatley had to move to Yorkshire because of family commitments. I used to be able to avail of the free Scottish text to speech software which is free to the Scottish public sector. I now no longer have a Scottish email address so can no longer access the software - the link is here: http://www.thescottishvoice.org.uk/home/

Would anyone in Scotland please be able to help me get a copy of the software? I used to use it with my pupils in class and it was a brilliant tool to use so that my lessons were easily accessible to all my pupils. My school cannot afford to license it.

Thanks!

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

The licence agreement seems to say that the voices are not licensed for use outside Scotland, so effectively even if you get a free copy you'd be reaching the licence terms by using it:

The voices are licensed for: State-run schools, pupils at home, Scottish Colleges, Scottish Universities, Scottish Open University students, Scottish charities dealing with pupils and NHS patients, Scottish Local Authorities, NHS Scotland, Scottish government agencies and public sector in general.

The voices are not licensed for: Independent schools, private companies, Scottish students studying abroad and individuals not covered by the above.

3. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Lots of free stuff around, just google.