1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scottish Schools stay open.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by aypi, Mar 21, 2020.

1. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

What a bunch of southern softies inhabit these TES forums. If you had anything like the Dunkirk spirit of the Scottish Education System you would be going in to work with classes of senior pupils on Monday.
    It is only a tiny virus you big girls blouses, get on with it. Get those children assessed and re-assessed. Assess them within an inch of their lives. Well, not their lives because they generally survive. Assess them within an inch of my mother in law's life (93).

Scotland, no pubs, no cafes, no football matches. We have made the hard decisions to allow us to keep the schools open, doing regular teaching activities, not just looking after key worker children.

2. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  3. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

Really? This is awful if so

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Every school in England will be open on Monday. Every one.
    The list of children who are going to school in England on Monday is extensive. Some schools will have 50% of their normal student body. While the government is enforcing social distancing. Probably killing some teachers.

5. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Are schools really to stay open in Scotland? I thought Scotland was the first to announce school closures and the other countries followed.

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

Everything is in a muddle.

Fife has told staff to go in, though vulnerable staff (pregnant women, folk with underlying conditons) are at home. Some schools are telling senior pupils to go in to complete assignments.

8. freyja2020

freyja2020 New commenter

It is an absolute mess, told that we will reassess the situation after this week in school. Told to all go in to teach the vulnerable, additional support pupils and pupils with one parent on the key workers list. Parents could have been asked if they were sending their children in, but instead we're told to just turn up and see who is there on Monday. Could be hundreds, with no timetable and no plan.

No idea if I will be following my usual contact hours, with the pupils turning up during usual class times or if classes will be merged and the teachers that show up will be assigned mixed age groups to supervise from 08:50-15:40 every day. We know nothing and told to basically entertain and keep the children amused. Then the situation will be looked at and changed if necessary. Looks like despite Easter holidays requiring most children to be cared for my parents anyway, they will all be in school and teachers expected to look after them all.

I understand the importance of this for key workers working overtime and being called in during the Easter break, they did not expect to be required in their own roles. But I do not understand why this is necessary for the other children being brought into school during what would have been a holiday. Zero clarity about behaviour management when there will be no way of removing children from class for not following instructions or being safe. Zero clarification about whether the school will send home pupils with symptoms/coughing and sneezing and refusing to cover mouth. What happens if there's no support workers for the children with severe behavioural and learning difficulties that usually require a dedicated staff member with them at all times?

agathamorse, Marisha and Ezzie like this.
  9. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I don't think so. Seniors pupils (S4/S5/S6) are the cohorts allowed to go in to finish coursework,assessments and assignments. Those are things that they would still be going on in schools at this very time of the year.I'm retired now but colleagues from my old school seem to indicate that this is only done by pupils who have arranged it with pupils. Therefore,teachers are not to come to school unless they have arranged to see pupils.Plus,the teachers are saying when it will be. For instance,French will be on Tuesday. Spanish on Thursday. It's not a come as you please arrangement.
    This is what is happening at my old school. Other LAs might be different.

11. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Dear OP, looks like us southern softies have lost our sense of humour & understanding of sarcasm.

Fortunately, 3 generations back on my mother's side my scottish genes have kicked in.

12. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

I did leave the sarcasm clue in the second post.
    Scottish Schools are on the whole closed on Monday. If your meaning of closed is open to S4 to 6 and keyworker children.
    100 staff, 300 to 400 hundred children could be in Scottish schools on Monday morning. My own daughter was crying when I told her she was not to go in.
    Why on earth are these schools inviting in children? To get a better grade in their exams.
    Perhaps it is a plan by the SNP to kill off the parents of the highest achievers in schools, or at least the grandparents.
    The exceptions seem to be Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dumfries and Galloway Schools. In the other authorities they could have all their senior pupils in.

13. caroline_macintyre

caroline_macintyre New commenter

I work in a high school as a PSA and all staff have to come in on Monday to work. Not been told anything about what is going on. To be quite honest the list they out out nearly covers all parents jobs. I asked about our safety and who is going to make sure we are ok as we are not going into isolation and we will be nearer more people than I feel comfortable. I asked about PPE and no answer.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

This is exactly what should be troubling unions. No ppe, no teachers.
    NHS workers are getting ppe, so why not teachers?

I hate to say it, but there will be a wailing and gnashing of teeth and covering of @rses when the first teacher dies from covid19.

Why are the unions NOT screaming about this?

caroline_macintyre likes this.
  15. caroline_macintyre

caroline_macintyre New commenter

I am going to call my union and ask all these questions. I would also like this question answered. If at any time I feel that I have had enough and just want to stay at home with my family like lots of other workers will I be allowed to. I dont feel protected at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2020
  16. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Help save Scotland from #COVIDー19 Schools are going to break guidelines next week. Please sign the petition http://chng.it/q6NJjMT4Sd

17. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

We have escaped, thanks to anyone who signed