1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scottish Pension Scheme: Do I take the money and run?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Redders180, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Redders180

Redders180 New commenter

Hello,

I'm just checking if anyone has been in a similar position before I contact my union for advice too.

I trained and worked in England for a few years as a teacher, then worked for under a year in Scotland, before returning to England more than a year ago.

I have, therefore, made pension contributions to the TPS and Scottish pension scheme. I am considering simply requesting a repayment of the Scottish contributions (I realise I will probably make a loss on some of that). Is that wise or should I be doing something more sensible? I am unsure that the Scottish pension payments can be transferred to TPS and I'm not fussed on having such a small pension pot if that is the case. I would love to hear from anyone who has been in a similar position.

Many thanks!

2. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Get expert advice, I am not one.

However, I don't think you'll get better value putting your money anywhere else. Transferring to the TPS should be possible and it would take a lot to convince me I could do better in any other scheme.

I would look out for qualifying periods, a single year in the Scottish scheme - does that even qualify you for pension benefits?

If you can transfer it to the TPS then it gets inflationary increases PLUS 1.6% (for the periods you are in the TPS scheme), I've not seen any savings/scheme that adds that kind of value.

3. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

I moved from England to Scotland and had a very bitty-piecey pension history in England due to working a lot through supply agencies and not paying superann. Every single period of contributions, some as little as 3 months, was eventually transferred into the Scottish scheme and bumped up my record of service quite a bit. You could try the pension calculator with and without your Scottish service and compare with the contributions you could reclaim.