1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scottish Higher result. How on earth..???

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by p4girl, Aug 10, 2016.

1. p4girl

p4girl New commenter

As an experienced teacher, I thought I had a handle on how education worked... but here's a new one on me...

A friend's daughter didn't attend her Higher Geography exam - thought she wouldn't do well. Friend raging!!!!! Has gone on about the importance of studying, commitment, future prospects etc.

Exam results come in yesterday - and her daughter passed, getting a C for Higher Geography!

I don't understand it. You can pass a higher by not sitting it?!? A strange message to be sending to pupils.

Can anyone explain how she passed? Coursework surely only counts for around 20%.

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

If she had a good excuse, it may be down to mock results. When I was in scotland these could be used to grade a student in the event of exam day problems.

3. p4girl

p4girl New commenter

I get what you're saying, but the pupil simply bunked off the exam, because she thought she hadn't done enough studying. SQA guidelines say coursework plus external exam to pass a higher. It seems to slightly devalue the efforts of those who worked really hard, when pupil concerned has now bragged on Facebook that she passed without sitting the exam.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's impossible.
    The Higher Geography Assignment (coursework) is worth 33% of the total grade. The rest is the Question Paper (exam). I suspect there is more to this than your friend has told you and the school did indeed put in a request for special circumstances - the alternative is a clerical error or that the pupil has not been entirely truthful.

@sparkleghirl Appeals don't exist any more and many schools don't do "mocks" in the same way. If there's a problem on the day of the exam or a close bereavement the day before this is noted but you no longer get the automatic chance to appeal if your estimate was very different to the result on the day.

5. p4girl

p4girl New commenter

Yep, agree with you completely. Someone not telling all somewhere! Glad to hear it's not possible, though - means the principles I teach are sound.

6. StopBugginMyHappiness

StopBugginMyHappiness New commenter

There is an "exceptional circumstances" service. If a candidate fails to turn up on the day and IF (and only if - certainly in any school I have taught in) there is an exceptional reason - bereavement/medical note etc - then the school have a week to submit any evidence they have to suggest that the candidate would have passed. This could be in the form of a prelim (mock) if the school still uses them; it can also include other evidence such as class assessments/homework exercises etc. This will be reviewed by the senior markers for the subject and a decision made as to whether a grade should be awarded or not.

7. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Any comments about the Higher Geography after BBC report last night?