1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scottish exam results day 2019: Slight fall in higher attainment rate

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Aug 6, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘The Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) has released annual attainment data, which shows Higher passes at grades A-C down by two percentage points compared to last year.

The 2019 attainment rate at higher is 74.8 per cent, down from 76.8 per cent in 2018. That marks a 2.4 per cent drop since 2016: the pass rate was 77.2 per cent then, the first year that the current version of Highers were set in their current form without an option of taking the old-style Highers (in 2015 both were on offer).’

https://www.tes.com/news/scottish-exam-results-day-2019-higher-attainment-falls

What do you think about the fall and are you surprised by it?

2. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

It might be pedantic to point out that whoever wrote the above got their maths correct in the first sentence, but woefully wrong in the third.

From 77.2 per cent to 74.8 per cent is not a 2.4 per cent drop.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  3. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

I would say they got their maths correct but their terminology wrong. It's 2.4 percentage point drop.

4. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Just so, BBJ.

That's why I wrote as i did.

5. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

6. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

7. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

The 'fall' is an indication of the failings of the CfE project and clearly does not represent 'excellence'.

I doubt if any teacher is surprised by it. The Scottish Education System is being allowed to degrade and yet no one is taking responsibility for it, least of all the SNP led Scottish Government. It's already yesterdays news as far as they are concerned.

8. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Gnu, when you are trawling your wee unionist/Tory library for your "Scotland is shyte" soundbites, maybe it would be an idea to quote links that are actually from the same calendar year and are relevant to the actual thread?

p.s. did you vote for Boris or Jeremy?

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  9. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Is that 2018's or 2019's fall, gnu?

It's all a bit last year's news as far as I'm concerned.