1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scotland: Jump in pay scale for former language assistants?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by TimjT, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Hello,

I've just finished my probation year in Modern Languages and am about to start a new post at a new school within the same local authority.

I did a year abroad during uni as a British Council Language Assistant and have been told that having done that allows me to now jump a level on the pay scale, from 0 to 2. Does anyone else, particularly in Scotland, have experience of getting this or know someone who has and how did they go about it? I dont want to approach my local authority directly without some sort of evidence as experience has told me that they are likely just to fob me off with a flat, "no," if they think they can get away with paying me less!

Thanks,

T.

2. Hello,

I've just finished my probation year in Modern Languages and am about to start a new post at a new school within the same local authority.

I did a year abroad during uni as a British Council Language Assistant and have been told that having done that allows me to now jump a level on the pay scale, from 0 to 2. Does anyone else, particularly in Scotland, have experience of getting this or know someone who has and how did they go about it? I dont want to approach my local authority directly without some sort of evidence as experience has told me that they are likely just to fob me off with a flat, "no," if they think they can get away with paying me less!

Thanks,

T.

3. I trained and started my career in Scotland....I started on point 2 of the scale but I'm not sure if that was because of my year abroad or because I got a first. Keepong my fingers crossed for you!

4. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

I was a FLA in Spain 1990-1991. At the end the British Council (or Central Bureau as it was in those days) gave me a certificate to say that if I chose to be a teacher later on, my FLA year would entitle me to an extra point on the payscale. I presented the certificate when I got my NQT job and was given an instant no. I wouldn't hold your breath!

5. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

The same thing happened to me, Geekie. Although I was told at interview that I would get the "extra point" it didn't appear on my first payslip. I questioned this and was told "if you don't like it, you can always leave."

6. I did, T. When I got a permanent job (I'm in Scotland), alongside my contract, there was a form to fill in if you had previous relevant experience. I put that I'd been an FLA and that I'd done some tutoring, too, and they moved me up 1 point. My council are quite on the ball with things like this. Feel free to PM me if you think it will help, but it's worth a shot - if they say no, then at least you tried, and if they say yes, it's a bonus!