1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scones

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Lalad, May 29, 2020.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Please help!

Over the years, I have tried several different recipes for scones, and they usually taste good but don't rise very much. I would love to be able to make light, well-risen scones like those my grandmother used to make - is there a secret to this?

Lal

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Use the Mary Berry recipe and DO NOT ROLL TOO THIN!!
    This is the biggest mistake people make.
    I roll to 3cm and get a great rise.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tea_time_scones_77839

It's quite a wet dough, which is fine. And don't twist the cutters, stamp out the scones. If you twist the cutters into the dough you will get wonky scones that do not rise.

Lalad and Rott Weiler like this.
  3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Thank you, I will try this and let you know how I get on!

BelleDuJour likes this.
  4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

BelleDuJour and Lalad like this.
  5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Thank you - if the plain ones come out well, I'll try the blueberry ones next!

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If it appeals, try substituting all or part of the milk/cream in a recipe with yoghurt-possibly not what your grandma used to do, who knows, but if all other variables are just right, it makes the scones seriously fluffy. (has a similar effect in pan cooked flat breads too)

Lalad likes this.
  7. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Well, first attempt with the Mary Berry recipe has definitely resulted in the best scones I've ever made... but I'm going to go for the yogurt and blueberry option next time, plus I'll roll them a bit thicker and might invest in a metal cutter!

BelleDuJour likes this.
  8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I don't usually bother with egg in mine, although I do like the Mary Berry recipe too.
    Since I made some for VE day street party, I've been a making them a bit. Which is fine except that Mr gw insists on buying a hooge tub of clotted cream! Not helping my weight one little bit!

They do freeze well too.

Lalad and BelleDuJour like this.
  9. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Never used eggs in scones, always milk. Handle the dough as little as possible, I tend to pat it out rather than rolling.

Lalad likes this.
  10. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

IMG_20200608_114842.jpg

This is what I was trying to achieve! Fourth attempt, no eggs or baking powder - much better rise and very light scones!

(I did try the yogurt, which helped, but not as much as the last recipe.)

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Mmm. They look really good!
    And a lovely colour

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Scones

Ingredients

200g S.R. flour

1 level teaspoonful of baking powder

25g butter

25g caster sugar

125ml milk

1. Light the oven 200C, Gas mark 8.

2. Sieve the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter.

3. Add the sugar and mix lightly, make a well in the centre and add most of the milk.

4. Mix to a soft dough with a palette knife, adding the rest of the milk if necessary.

5. Place the dough on a floured surface and lightly knead. Using the flat of your hands, pat out to 1cm thickness.

6. Cut into rounds using a cutter and place on a floured baking tray. Cut straight down, do not twist the cutter.

7. Bake in the oven for about 12 mins. until well-risen and golden brown.

8. Place on a cooling tray, serve split in half with butter and jam, cream can be served as well.

You can use wholemeal flour, you can omit the sugar and add 75g grated cheese, you can add 50g sultanas. Any other ideas?

13. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Cumin seeds

lunarita likes this.
  14. AbigailTih1

AbigailTih1 New commenter

what recipe do you use to make them? put the yeast?

15. AbigailTih1

AbigailTih1 New commenter

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

There's no yeast in scones.

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Definitely not, in fact never, ever heard of scones made with yeast!! Scones work better with an extra teaspoon of baking powder added to SR flour.