1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SCLY1 Exam - Family & Households

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by BillSimpson, Jan 14, 2011.

1. What were the questions on the paper?

2. mairuzu

mairuzu New commenter

From what my students reported (so not exact):
    What is meant by "net migration" (2 marks)
    Other than for work, suggest two reasons why people may migrate to the UK. (4 marks)
    or something along those lines (haven't seen the actual paper yet)

3. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

I have the paper.
    1) Explain what is meant by net migration
    2) Suggest two reasons why people may migrate to the UK apart from what is referred to in 2A
    3) Identify 3 ways in which greater ethnic diversity has contributed to family diversity
    4) Examine the reasons for changes in the patterns of marriage and cohabitation in the last 40 years or so
    5) Using material from Item 2b and elsewhere, assess the view that the modern family has become more child centred.

4. immigration - i touched on it but not in any depth. This was a surprise.
    Its only a two marker so hopefully not too much of a big mess up.

The other 2 short answer questions were not too bad because its more obvious....i hope.

5. Same - the net migration 2 marker was just not cool! I have read through quite a few AS textbooks and haven't ever seen this exact term?! [​IMG]
    The short answer on reasons for immigration...hmmmm not nice, but at least fairer.
    The essay questions weren't too awful, though most of mine wrote loads about child centred culture and not child centred family. I know they will get marks, but unless they explicitly answer the question, and twist in their evidence, they won't do as well as I had hoped!
    I wasn't that impressed with it. Feel a bit disappointed, they really knew their stuff but I'm not too sure if that would come across. Oh well!

6. Luckily, the 24 markers were beauts...but mairuzu is right, migration does not appear in the spec. It is however in the Webb textbook, and apparently, if it isnt it Webb, it isnt worth knowing (thats what Ive heard from fellow soc colleagues)

Mairuzu, I will be using the ask AQA service to lodge my query/complaint, as should you (and anyone else that thinks this is a bit of an anomaly)

7. blt

blt New commenter

I think everyone needs to lodge a complaint about the migration questions - even if, like me, you haven't entered candidates for this series.

Centres and teachers are repeatedly told not to just follow what's in a textbook and here is a classic example of why, so often, this is done.
    It'll be interesting to hear from those examining ths paper how the candidates have fared.

8. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

I did send a query to 'ask AQA' but just got a reply saying they were looking into it.

Does anybody know what came up in the SCLY2 exam today?

9. Cultural Deprivation
    Three policies which may benefit the middle class
    External factors which have helped girls
    Role allocation and education

Methods in context
    Investigating parental attitudes/ involvement in raising pupil attainment using
    unstructured interviews (I think)

Methods long question
    Personal documemts and historical documents

looks toughish to me

10. I have also contacted AQA via the ask AQA feature. I rang them and they just said "put it in writing".

I think it is unfair. I have also searched through the specs (including AQA suggested scheme of work) and past papers as well as text books and can find no reference to net migration. I am not even sure how this would relate tro family and households!
    My students thought that they had started the wrong question or fallen into a Geography paper by mistake.

11. I've also emailed in my complaint and got the automated response that they will reply within one working day. Nothing yet though!!!
    I agree - very unfair.

12. It may seem unfair however 'net migration' is mentioned in the Weber et al book. It is also summarised in a keyword box beneath the meaning of Immigration and emmigration!
    It does relate to family and households because it has an impact on family diversity, also immigrant woman are said to have a higher total fertility rate, thus impacting on family life i.e. dependency ratio etc.

13. I agree that immigration does relate - but still think the key term was unfair, simply because it's in none of the 3 textbooks I use.
    One is AQA endorsed! (Nelson Thornes).
    It seems a bit hit and miss that one teacher could be using 3 textbooks, trying to get good coverage, yet another teacher who just teaches from one (which happens to be Weber (?)!) covers it by chance.
    I don't have a problem with the general immigration questions but such a specific question (net migration) I still feel is unfair....just my opinion though [​IMG]

14. i don't really see what the problem is, thought it was a very fair paper. Net migration comes into demography and the diversity topics. Then again, i use the Webb book. the AQA Nelson Thornes isn't very detailed so don't think much of that one.
    I'm sure all will be fine
    :)

15. blt

blt New commenter

Net migration does not 'come under' demographics if you follow AQA's own scheme of work. And as we are contstantly told, don't follow a textbook, follow the specification.

I have phoned AQA about this and they asked for any concerns to be put in writing. I'll certainly be doing that.

16. the specification and scheme of work that AQA produce is a guide. it doesn't mean you can't go beyond it in making a scheme of work your own. using the spec and looking through the available text books provides a comprehensive overview of all things which could be asked about, making this paper completely fair. your own subject knowledge should also help
    good luck in writing to AQA though :)

17. Can someone kindly show mw the mark allocation of the follwing questions:
    I have the paper.
    1) Explain what is meant by net migration
    2) Suggest two reasons why people may migrate to the UK apart from what is referred to in 2A
    3) Identify 3 ways in which greater ethnic diversity has contributed to family diversity
    4) Examine the reasons for changes in the patterns of marriage and cohabitation in the last 40 years or so
    5) Using material from Item 2b and elsewhere, assess the view that the modern family has become more child centred.

18. 1) 2marks
    2) 4marks
    3) 6marks
    4) 24marks
    5) 24 marks