1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SCITT with or without PGCE?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Rachel_0990, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Rachel_0990

Rachel_0990 New commenter

I am due to start a SCITT course this year (woohoo!) and we have the option of also completing a PGCE during the training.

I'm aware that doing a PGCE gives me greater flexibility if I were to look abroad at teaching jobs but are there any other benefits for doing a PGCE in addition to the SCITT? I'm told the SCITT is a lot of work by itself so I'm unsure whether adding any additional work is worth it!

2. NotAPowerRanger

NotAPowerRanger New commenter

Almost-Ex-SCITT student here!

Check with the training provider as to what extra work is needed to get the PCGE too. The extra work I had to do to add the PCGE on top was a drop in an ocean compared to completing the course.

3. Piscean1

Piscean1 Occasional commenter

I've done SCITT with a PGCE this year. Check what you need to do. Mine was pretty good.

I had to write a two long(ish) essays, two essays of about 1000 words and do two presentations. Not bad for a whole PGCE and definitely worth it!

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Whilst England remains one of the few modern countries that do not require a PGCE in addition to QTS to be a teacher, there is nothing to stop a future Secretary of State demanding all teachers without obtain it within a short time span and insisting all courses make it mandatory. Gove brought huge numbers of unqualified teachers to the schools in deprived areas so who is to say an equally ardent pro-children of poor folk Secretary of State could not aim for the opposite?

In short, future proof yourself. If there is one thing we know in education it is moving goal posts and retrospective rules.

5. CuriousTurtle

CuriousTurtle Occasional commenter

I did it with PGDE alongside trainees that just had QTS, and the workload wasn't that different. The essays had to be a bit longer and there were two extra tasks, but they were mostly evidence based so didn't add much on top of what was already there :)

6. teachingspurs

teachingspurs New commenter

With, definitely. You can take a PGCE anywhere. You cannot take a QTS elsewhere.