Dear all, I'm currently a UCAS applicant, who has received offers from both a SCITT and University. I am having an extremely difficult time choosing between the two, despite weighing up the pros and cons with the respective course providers of both routes, my DfE advisor, UCAS and friends and family. One of the most important factors in my decision to teach was to obtain a PGCE. This is important to me as I have a desire to teach abroad in other countries (if at all possible, for as soon as my NQT year). I have condensed my pros and cons (+/-) down to the few that are of the most concern to me, in order to make the decision simpler. Apologies in advance, as some of the way these points read, make me sound very big-headed and full of myself. I assure you that is not the case. They are merely hypothetical situations based on my potential success throughout my ITT year. SCITT + I already know the schools I'll be working at as I’ve had experience days there, and I'm happy with those schools. I’ve been able to choose the schools I want and in the order the placements will be. + There is a better chance at a job offer after the first year, with at least one of the school’s that I’ve already taught at. Possibly, but I will be a qualified Computer Science teacher, so I shouldn’t struggle to find employment. + I would have to re-locate to the area between the two schools but I am happy with their location. This even factored into the SCITT being one of my choices. - The SCITT’s vested interests are in my teaching ability and commitment to the schools. They have no obligation in supporting me to complete my PGCE. - I can't be open about my future intentions to teach overseas. - In February, half-way through the initial teacher training year, the SCITT (like most others) approach trainees they are interested in, with job offers for the following year. This is understandable, as they would like to secure those resources for the following year. How will the SCITT react if I decline a job offer? For example, I have an offer from another school. Once they realise that I am a valuable resource they will not be able to retain, will it affect their attitude towards me and the way I will be assessed for QTS and PGCE? I know it sounds that I’m portraying them to be rather spiteful, but if they personally feel that I have wasted their time and loyalty by going somewhere else, their frustration could be vented by jeopardising my capabilities of going elsewhere. - The University associated with the SCITT is far away, and as a result, will not be regularly visiting me or the schools I will be working at. It will mostly be remote study online and PCGE support in the form of e-mail correspondence with this University. I feel somewhat cheated out of the tuition and support I feel I should be receiving for the £9250 tuition fees I’ll be handing over. University + More PGCE Support available as the University are responsible for my study, course, and placements. + The University may able to help get a job overseas the year after through their connections. + Both the Universities and the schools I’ll be placed at don't care if my intentions are to teach abroad after the PGCE. They have no vested interest in influencing my decision for the following year as I will have graduated and finished with the University. If anything, they are more likely to help me get to where I want to go after my initial year. + If need be, the University can get involved if one of my placements is not working out or I am not happy there for some (albeit important) reason. - Unknown schools and location. I have no idea where I’ll be placed or with whom. This is obviously a disadvantage from knowing where I will be placed with the SCITT and already knowing that I like those schools. - Living location. The regional area around the University (and where the schools I’m most likely to be placed at, being in close proximity to the University) are not appealing. I know the region well, having grown up in it, and I can say neither the schools or the location itself, are not where I’d prefer to be. I would be lucky to be placed at schools that I would consider pleasant. These are what I would consider to be the most important factors / sticking points in making my choice much clearer. Perhaps I'm over-thinking some of my points or perhaps there are some other glaringly obvious points I have failed to consider. I would love to hear opinions and advice from the community. One of the frustrating things in the whole Get Into Teaching process has been the lack of people either being available or even willing to share their experiences. The SCITT have not made trainees available to share their experiences or talk with me regarding my concerns. Similarly, there is not much the University can really do to alleviate my worries over the unknown. If there are SCITT trainees, past or present, I would be very happy to hear from you and how are you are managing with your PGCE and how supportive the SCITT are in assisting you with it. Also, if there are trainees who have had a similar situation where the attitude has changed at the decline of an offer.