1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SCITT Training - placement days

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by etcib, Mar 27, 2016.

1. etcib

etcib New commenter

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me!

Had a bit of an issue before the Easter break with a training provider I currently support for training new teachers; with wanting to take my own career down the pastoral & training route, knowing the answer to this will help me in the distant future, but also indicate to me any comments I might need to make about the partnership my school has with a local ITT provider.

I know that there needs to be a minimum of 120 days in school for trainees in a minimum of 2 different schools, but I cannot find any documentation that indicates a minimum number of days required in a specific school placement. A trainee who started the year with me had a number of weeks off during their 'second' placement and I've been told that they will be staying in that school for the rest of the course (despite the trainee and myself raising concerns with the placement - not having taught GCSE since Christmas, not having a subject specific mentor and not having experiences of different ability classes). The reason I've been given is that the trainee has not had enough days on placement but I'm thinking it's all politics...the other school recently became part of the same academy chain as the provider and was never initially a placement school.

So, is there a minimum number of days needed in a placement school, or is the provider looking after 'one of it's own' around this crucial time of year and not putting the progress of their trainee teacher first?!?