1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SCITT subject audits

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Anglexikih, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hi
    I have just had an email inviting me to go to a session of 'subject audits'. I was just wondering if anybody else had been for the same and if they could shed some light on what exactly they entail please?
    I know I have:
    * Mental arithmetic;
    * Short written maths paper;
    * Short correction exercise for English;
    * Short written science paper.
    Im quite nervous! English shouldnt be a problem but I'm not brilliant at maths (I have a grade B at GCSE but its never been a strong point) and I'm very rusty on science (Again, I got a grade B but its been a long time!)
    I was just wondering if anybody can give me any pointers so I could brush up on what I need to know!

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Hi
    I have just had an email inviting me to go to a session of 'subject audits'. I was just wondering if anybody else had been for the same and if they could shed some light on what exactly they entail please?
    I know I have:
    * Mental arithmetic;
    * Short written maths paper;
    * Short correction exercise for English;
    * Short written science paper.
    Im quite nervous! English shouldnt be a problem but I'm not brilliant at maths (I have a grade B at GCSE but its never been a strong point) and I'm very rusty on science (Again, I got a grade B but its been a long time!)
    I was just wondering if anybody can give me any pointers so I could brush up on what I need to know!

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I believe the whole point of a subject audit that you find out what you're strong/weak at.

4. Yes, I do understand that but there is no harm in revising rough subject matter is there? Afterall that is what I have always done for exams. I dont want people to give me exact questions, I just thought maybe I could find out general areas I can look into?

5. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

We had to do subject audits before we started our SCITT course, and you would be better to go as you are instead of skim-revising as they heavily base their training days around the common areas of weakness that the cohort has, if you skim revise in order to do better at the audit then you might not really have the level of understanding you require in order to then teach it effectively, if they don't know your true areas of weakness/development needs they can't tailor the training to you personally.
    It DOES NOT reflect badly if you get low scores, we had some people horrified that they had scores well below 50% in the Maths/Science/Literacy audits (I think the worst score I heard was around 25%), and they've all passed their first teaching practise with flying colours because the training we've recieved addressed their weakness.
    A friend of mine went for a Secondary English GTP place and had to do an audit and only knew 2 of the terms on the entire sheet!! She still got the place!
    AND, it's good to show your progress over the course, you'll have things to reflect about on your weekly evaluation if you are learning new things and applying them in the classroom!
    Best of luck.

6. MizUnderstood

p.s. is this subject knowledge audit after you've been offered a place, or part of the selection process?

7. Captain Obvious

But I assume this is more of a diagnostic test - you can then use it to revise what you're weak on.
    If it's diagnostic, it's not about passing or failing like a "proper" exam.

8. It is part of the selection process.The letter says that following successful completion of subject audits I would be then invited for an interview at the school.
    Thanks for all the info you have given me. It is reassuring that the pressure does not seem as intense as I had assumed but on the other hand I am concerned that, as my audits are part of the selction process and not after theactual offer of a place that the circumstances will be different?
    Oh well I will just have to see how it goes. Its all such a minefield!

9. MizUnderstood

Hmmmm, odd that they call them 'audits' if they are part of the selection process, the way it's written makes it sound like you need to pass in order to get to the next stage...so maybe a quick look through the QTS skills books would help you before you go!!

10. Captain Obvious

Agreed, the audit done on my PGCE was solely for the purpose of self-improvement. The word "audit" seems unfairly used in this instance.
    The main thing is that you can check and write a sentence correctly, and do some straightforward maths, something I was asked to do at an interview. I got a subject-specific question wrong in the interview and still managed to get on my particular course...

11. Thanks guys. I will grab some revision guides and have a look through - cant hurt, I guess.
    Fingers crossed.
    Thanks again [​IMG]

12. I've just had to do similar tests as part of a SCITT interview process but we were specifically told that they would be up to KS3 level. I just looked at BBC Bitesize and practised some KS3 SATS papers :) good luck!

13. Hi Jen,
    Thanks. Was that enough? Did you find them tough? I have been looking at some of that Bitesize stuff and Im amazed how much science I have forgotten! Let me know what you thought of them. :)