1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SCITT School Direct Work Load

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by lyonsd78, Mar 15, 2016.

1. lyonsd78

lyonsd78 New commenter

Can anybody give me a breakdown of the workload required on your SCITT School Direct Year?

I guess it's the usual 8-hour+ per day as a teacher in a school coupled with University attendance. How often do ar you required to attend Uni and how many hours do you teach?

Thanks a mill,

D

2. cb324

cb324 Occasional commenter

I was on a salaried position for schools direct so my experience may be a little different. My timetable was quite heavy and I was expected to teach Monday to Friday with around 4 hours PPA free a week (5, 1 hour lessons a day). A lot of people on the schools direct course who weren't on salaried positions had much lighter timetables and were often taking other peoples classes on, so the responsibility wasn't solely on them.

I had to go to university on Mondays, which meant hat I had to ensure the work was covered for my Monday as I was gone. I imagine that might not be the case for most people but I worked at an Academy, so they tend to do things a little different/cheaply. I probably went to university most Monday's from September to around April/may and then it died down as you get more time to work on your dissertation/project.

My workload was probably around 9-10 hours a day 7:30 until 4:30-6pmish (depending on time of the year and how busy I would be). I didn't do any university work during the weekday and squeezed most of it in on Sundays for around 2-6 hours. I went to Nottingham Trent and it was pretty easy. We were only given 4 things to do for the year. 2 reflection essays on the teaching standard, a reflection diary, evidence portfolio of school work like lesson plans, data, etc and a mini dissertation/project. The university work was really manageable and I didn't feel like there was much pressure from it. The hardest part was just trying to manage the university work and the school work but if you dedicate every other Sunday to the university work then you should be ok.

Hope this helps.

3. erniewilson61

erniewilson61 New commenter

Four day weeks - Friday at central training. Starts with a 60% timetable and yes you are covering someone elses classes but you are quickly given full responsibility for the class - including full preperation and marking. But in fairness what else would you expect - you are not spoon fed and are fairly autonimous in getting involved with the SOW and assessment setting and marking.

I find it to be exceptionally rewarding but do not have much time for anything else.- but some of that is self inflicted as I am very anal about my paperwork and ensuring I hit the grades in all I do.

We keep getting told NOT to re invent the wheel - which is very good advice HOWEVER once you have tried to teach from someone's presentation you quickly learn to do your own !!!

IT is a hard year but as I approach my last 12 weeks it is worth every second and you will quickly know if this is the right career path for you......