1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SCITT QTS QUERY???

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by fionajaynefreeman, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Hi, I've just started my SCITT primary course this morning, and can't seem to get a straight answer to one of my questions...I just want to know if i qualify from the primary SCITT and obtain my QTS can I use this to teach in FE or HE later on in my career? My degree is animal biology based and didn't know if I would need to complete another qualification to teach this at FE/HE if I wanted to later on down the line? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I've taught in FE and HE with my QTS. There may well be 'top up', on the job training in FE colleges and Universities to enable tutors to work more effectively with adult learners.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You would need to convince the FE college that you could teach the age group given that your training and experience is in primary. It is more usual for secondary trained teachers to move into FE once they have examination class experience in post 16.

For HE you need to consider PhD and research which is the usual route in.