1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SCITT Interview - Urgent Help Needed

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ozzyrob, Feb 2, 2017.

1. ozzyrob

ozzyrob New commenter

I have a SCITT interview next Tuesday which I only found out about yesterday and have been asked to do the following for part of the it:
    Time in a Year 5 classroom, during which you will read a short story from a book (15 minutes) to the class. Please come prepared with a story/book. Criteria against which all candidates will be assessed during time in school include: communication with adults and children; use of strategies to help children learn; use of initiative; enthusiasm.
    This is all the information I have been given and I am extremely confused and more than a little worried. Any advice anyone can give will be greatly appreciated but I really don't have much time.

2. Homeeducator2011

Homeeducator2011 New commenter

I'm sure there will be more experienced people to advise you, but it seems to me that they want to see what kind of person you are and how you interact with the children, so there isn't much preparation you can do for this. Be your natural self and bring something you are enthusiastic about, and you know the children will enjoy. Have you got experience with children of that age?

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

What are you confused about?

Choose a short story book that you think would be suitable for the age group.

All they want you to do is read the book to the kids.

Read the book in a way that will keep the kids interested, and allow them to learn something (topic, vocab etc).

Ask them questions and talk about the book while reading; perhaps show them the front cover and title and ask what they think it'll be about.

Email back and ask how many kids, are any of them SEN, any TAs in the room, etc.

Communication with adults = telling the TAs what you're going to do
    Communication with kids = be at ease, build rapport
    Strategies to help learn = questioning, checking understanding of new vocab, tasks to support understanding and skills
    Initiative = planning this lesson; dealing with unexpected situations
    Enthusiasm = choose a book you enjoy; show your enjoyment

4. aoscroft93

aoscroft93 New commenter

Other than a clear lesson plan, your interactions in class can't be truly predicted until you're in that environment.
    Keep it simple. You're not there to teach them a lesson, it's facilitation.
    Ask them questions on how the theme in you're text is used and why and so on. Encourage a group discussion or "talk to the person next to you" sort of thing.
    Be persistent if they are reluctant to answer or appear disengaged. I've just nailed two interviews and taught two year 10 classes. They're feedback was highly complimentary but you wouldn't have believed it by the way they were gawping at me!
    Clearly outline your learning outcome expectations.
    Think of different ways to frame the same sentence which promotes quicker thinking time.
    Talk to the teacher in the class beforehand, shake their hand before you start, or if you don't get the opportunity to do that, ask the children "who is your teacher?" And "what has miss/mrs/Mr ____ taught you so far on this topic?" You should gauge what they already know themes their learning through the school curriculum on the website or through the D of E, or bitesize or a ks expectations.
    Most importantly,have fun, be yourself and be confident.
    I am sure you'll do well! Good luck

5. Hurty96

Hurty96 New commenter

Hi,

I have a SCITT interview next week for a secondary PE place and the task that i have asked to prepare is to bring an artefact relating to my subject and discuss it for 10 minutes and explain how this would be used within a lesson. I'm struggling on what artefact to take and what to discuss around the subject, as well as what they are looking for from it. Any help would be highly appreciated.

6. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

They are looking to see if you can engage your students; make them interested in the lesson and topic.

Take in something to do with PE that you think would appeal to students, and talk about it.

Did they specify an age group? Look at the Key Stage 3 and 4 curriculum to give you some ideas about what students need to know - that might help you decide.

This is also an opportunity to show your subject knowledge.

7. Hurty96

Hurty96 New commenter

No they didn't specify an age group, however im guessing that it will be KS3 curriculum driven as it is a secondary SCITT. I also believe that the presentation isn't in front of students it will just be in front of the other candidates at the interview.

I was planning on structuring my presentation in the way where i explain what the artefact is, why i have chosen this artefact, what are the benefits of using this artefact within a lesson, how it helps with the child's development in PE, how it links into the NCPE for KS3 onwards and also then get the audience to take part in a little activity to do with the artefact.

8. Hurty96

Hurty96 New commenter

No they didn't specify an age group, however im guessing that it will be KS3 curriculum driven as it is a secondary SCITT. I also believe that the presentation isn't in front of students it will just be in front of the other candidates at the interview.

I was planning on structuring my presentation in the way where i explain what the artefact is, why i have chosen this artefact, what are the benefits of using this artefact within a lesson, how it helps with the child's development in PE, how it links into the NCPE for KS3 onwards and also then get the audience to take part in a little activity to do with the artefact

9. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

I am curious to know what you have chosen ?

10. I have got the same interview coming up and if this thread is still going what artifact you used? I am slightly unsure as to what to use.