1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scientists display - modern scientists

Discussion in 'Science' started by rforsyth1984, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Hello
    I want to do a display on scientists in my lab, but as well as the usual 'greats' I want to include some modern scientists who may seem more inspiring to 'the yoof'. I'm racking my brains trying to think of potentially cool/popular/inspiring scientists, but I'm struggling (Summer brain and pernicious anemia not helping!).
    Got Brian Cox/Richard Dawkins/Miranda and Alice from 'Coast' who the kids might have seen on the TV.
    Anyone got any other ideas?
    Thanks if anyone can help :)

2. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Sir David Attenborough!

3. You could save yourself some work and instead set a homework task for an A4 poster on a scientist that inspires the child. Colour code the backing of the display to areas of science / curriculum?

4. Sir Harry Kroto - discovered of the Buckminster Fullerene allotrope of carbon (I've met him and he's a nice bloke too!)
    Agree, get the kids to do it for homework. This was my standard Y10 homework for years and they used to do a lovely job of it.

5. Ssn77

Ssn77 New commenter

Harry Kroto. British Nobel prize winner. Add in someone they may not have heard of (but should have).
    Nano carbon has all sorts of uses (body armour, increased concrete strength, lighter tennis rackets, drug delivery in body, etc., and of course potentially a space elevator).
    Tim Berners-Lee (physicist)
    Jim Al-Khalili

6. So I get why you want to find scientists the kids can relate to but why not set them a homework challenge to come up with the greatest top10 of all time(points added for the more obsure!)? This way they might learn something and it will open your wall to all scientists.

taitie