1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Scientists discover the bleedin' obvious...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Feb 24, 2016.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

“Friends are for comfort, taking it easy, relaxing, not being challenged -- and those are good things. But you can't have only that need. You also need new ideas, people to correct you when you're loony.”

The Professor also had this to say. Good to know that the University of Kansas employs staff with such a wide vocabulary.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah good to see American science is at the cutting edge...

Remember when they put people on the Moon?

Edit: I know American science is doing actual important stuff [like LIGO] I just wanted to make a joke.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Well I never! I shall spend a few minutes thinking about this at the bottom of the stairs.

5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

6. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Well I for one, am glad of the research. It doesn't strike me as something obvious at all, or even clear as an idea because of ambiguity over "similar", "attract", until proved scientifically.

As for the phrase "opposites attract", I had always assumed that to mean personality. But this experiment has chosen to mix up personality and cultural type values all in one score. They could have done both separately -they probably wanted a strong result to start with though. Hopefully "more research is needed", as they always say.

7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Yes, me too. I can't imagine being attracted to someone whose values were opposite to mine, but have been attracted many times to personalities very different to my own.

It's not very clear at all.

8. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

We are similar then Sparkle!

9. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I mean in that we didn't poopoo the research (not implying that I do/don't like you ! not sure what implication from similarity it would be in any case!)

to mods: I just accidentally reported this post :(

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I am attracted to anyone who is daft enough to like me:rolleyes:

grumpydogwoman and sparkleghirl like this.
  11. sparkleghirl

Basically this is just an almost worthless piece of research but the press dept has come up with the Opposites attract soundbite and it's taken off.

How many other really relevant, interesting and worthwhile research reports are ignored every day by the same 'journalists' who have leapt on this one?

12. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Why do you think that?

13. sparkleghirl

I once worked in a dept which looked after various scientific reports. I remember seeing an official govt report into heat stress. it concluded that the likelihood and severity of heat stress depended on three things
    the ambient temperature
    the clothing worn
    the type of work/activity done

and I remember wondering how much it had cost to find this out.

I'm not sure the report we're discussing is any more startling.

14. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The research certainly encourages the opposite tendemcy with regard to personality.

And you said the result wasn't obvious! ... am confused!

15. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Until I read the actual research rather than a news report it is as well to remember that journalists are good at mis-reporting science (and politics and economics ) reducing everything to something that will ridicule and shock. 400 years ago the headline would have been

Cambridge professor discovers apples fall from trees.
    It has taken the Lucasian professor of Mathematics, Issac Newton a lifetime of research to discover that .......

16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Garvity can be a warping effect or described as a force so the nature of gravity and how it works could therefore be considered to be a matter of philosophy. Gravity is a property of space-time as well a force so can Quantum Level descriptions match general relativistic approaches?

17. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

18. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Cluck knows how I'm going to cope when my niece finally lets me out of the attic. How will I know who my friends are?

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It isn't obvious because it's b.ollox. Can anyone truthfully say they would like to be in a relationship with someone just like themselves? They'd drive themselves nuts. Relationships are most interesting when each party brings something different to the table. Ying and Yang.

20. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

The claimed result might resonate more with you Duke, if you think of educational background, ethnic group, class etc etc