1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

ScienceTechnician looking to be a teacher

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by PoojaVedpathak, Jun 3, 2020.

  1. PoojaVedpathak

    PoojaVedpathak New commenter

    Hello everyone!
    I am currently working as a Science technician in a Secondary School in England. I am a qualified teacher from India with my Masters Degree in Microbiology. I moved to UK in 2016 and then started working as LSA / TA in a Primary School. I was offered to do a teaching course from the school, which I was interested in, but due to pregnancy and moving to other place couldn't do it. After a gap of 18 months I have completed 1year as a Science Technician and would like to reconsider to be a teacher in secondary school.

    Currently, I am an Indian passport holder where as my husband and daughter are British passport holders. I would like your valuable suggestions regarding :
    1. Will my passport status affect the application process in any way?
    2. The work done a TA/LSA in Primary and current Sci Tech experience be counted?
    3. Which are the possible routes to get the teaching degree along with working in a school?

    Any views / experiences / thoughts /suggestions would be really helpful to me.

  2. Owleyes00

    Owleyes00 New commenter

    1) I’m not an expert but you might find that you have to pay international fees
    2) absolutely. Based on your credentials I think you will be snapped up
    3) you have a choice between university and school based training routes:
    agathamorse and PoojaVedpathak like this.
  3. Corvuscorax

    Corvuscorax Star commenter

    Do your school know you are a qualified teacher? You might actually just be able to do assessment only in the school you are in. This has happened with many science technicians in schools I have taught in. In fact it sometimes seems harder for a technician not to end up teaching!
  4. Skeoch

    Skeoch Star commenter

    It's worked very well for one person I know. Tech role was part time; was able to teach for the other part of the week, thence to assessment only route and full time teaching.
    PoojaVedpathak likes this.
  5. PoojaVedpathak

    PoojaVedpathak New commenter

    Thankyou for your reply. I did attend a Get Into Teaching event, few months back. There I got a bit of idea of getting in school for training.The people there were however, doubtful about the fee structure for Visa holding status students.
    Your reply number 2, just lifted my spirits for the day :) Thankyou so much!
  6. PoojaVedpathak

    PoojaVedpathak New commenter

    Hi..Thankyou for your reply!
    Yes, the Science HOD, Assistant HOD and 1-2 staff members do know I was a teacher and now would like to teach in the Secondary School.The assessment only route is something new I have knon now. I will try finding some more about it.
    Many thanks.
  7. PoojaVedpathak

    PoojaVedpathak New commenter

    Thankyou for your reply :) It will be really wonderful if I get an opportunity to do the same! I will try finding the information on Assesment route.

    Many thanks
  8. sarasand001

    sarasand001 New commenter

    Hi Pooja,

    Quite similar situation here. Did my MSc. (BEd) from India and worked as a qualified teacher. Moved to UK and worked as a TA for 1-2 years before realizing that I need to do more than that.
    1. Completed PGCE with international student fees (no bursary).
    2. TA experience will be counted as work experience but for QTS you will need PGCE
    3. If your spouse is British either you wait to get ILR or apply as international student.
    Trust me it is worth the effort :)
    Hope that helps.

Share This Page