1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Northernsole, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Northernsole

Northernsole Occasional commenter

Hi,

I am not a primary teacher, but my daughter is in primary. How long should a year 4 pupil be spending in Science class per week? Could anyone send me a sample timetable please? Thanks

2. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

It will depend a lot on how the school teaches and possibly the age of your child. If the school does science as a distinct subject every week, then two hours would be a working average, some schools might do less with the youngest children.
    However, if your school uses a 'topic' approach, then it might be more difficult to pinpoint 'science' lessons - using this approach, some topics might be 'science heavy' while other topics might be emphasising humanities. So 'science' might not be visible every week of every term.
    If I were you, I'd ask your child's teacher for the answer, which will be miles more useful than anything you'll get here, as we can only give you generalities.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Some schools have a couple of afternoons, some have almost no time.
    Some have lots in year 3 and very little in year 4, lots in year 5 and very little in year 6.
    Some have lots one half term and very little the next.

I wouldn't worry about it. At the moment, there are far more important things.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. Northernsole

Northernsole Occasional commenter

Thanks for you replies, but I DO worry about it. Denying children appropriate STEM classes is setting them up to fail later in school and life.

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I really don't think not doing much science in year 4 is anything to worry about. Better not to do any science than be taught wrong science by a teacher who doesn't know much about it.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ahhh but STEM is about far, far more than timetabled science lessons.

Piscean1 and nomad like this.
  7. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

It has to be the equivalent of 2 hours per week but this can be blocked and not taught at all in some half terms.

Y4 STEM is more through maths and DT anyway and in my opinion to be honest, no-one who didn't do any STEM work in Y4 would be precluded from working in a STEM field later on in life of this ea s their interest.

It's also worth remembering thst some schools may not teach any at all for at least the first term this year due to their need to focus on the recovery curriculum.

OFSTED has said that by 2021, all subjects need to be taught again but not necessarily before then.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The last time it was officially reviewed (as far as I know) was in the 1994 Dearing Review.

In para 4.20 on page 33 of the report he recommends that the time spent teaching science is 54 hours per year in Key Stage 1 and increasing to 72 hours per year in Key Stage 2.

9. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

I am a science teacher. I basically assume that children arrive in year 7 without any prior knowledge of science, and take it from there.

More children have to unlearn what they were told in primary than have learnt science well in primary.

I have a photocopy of a pupils book which they brought with them from primary, full of errors, ticked right, facts written correctly, marked wrong and changed into something wrong. It made interesting reading.

What sticks in my mind
    "There are no Newtons on the moon" " well done, you have understood this very well"

And of course "if there are no unbalanced forces on an object it will stop moving"

etc etc.

This child is now a first class physics graduate from a Russel group university

Best thing if you want to support your child's science education, lots of reading and writing with them, and support their literacy at this age, first and foremost.

And enjoy a few science books and documentaries with them. And a few home engineering projects! But what ever you are doing, English and maths above everything. Including vocabulary, conversation and literacy

10. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Rather dramatic.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  11. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Depends what the school has allocated for lesson time. With science, all depends on KS level but for KS2, I would expect at least 3 lessons a week, that’s what we did at my old school.

12. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Three lessons a week? Not a chance. Ours used to be an hour and a half. This year we're down to an hour. There just isn't the time in the timetable this year with the new arrangements.

Piscean1 and sooooexcited like this.
  13. dreamweaverplusactor

dreamweaverplusactor New commenter

I feel like you're here just to collect information to hit your child's teacher with. So I won't partake.

Piscean1 likes this.