1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Week . ahhh!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Cez24, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

Afternoon everyone,

I am trying to plan a science week for the summer term and need some advice really.

First of all a whole week...I am a bit overwhelmed at having to organise this and get everything ready for early years to yr 6 so if you have done anything amazing in Science please share your thoughts.

I was thinking of just giving out experiment ideas to all the teachers and try to help with resources as much as possible but then was thinking of doing some sort of science fair as well? Although with primary children not sure how this would work, I wouldn't want the parents to be doing it all really. Has anyone done a science fair before? Should I give a theme to it??

Also does anyone have any advice on what to provide for early years Yr1 and 2???

Thanks in advance if you can help x

2. dillydinsoaur

dillydinsoaur New commenter

Hi Cez,

I've organised this in my school for the last few years and do all of the above!

Science fair is upper ks2 only in my school but I have done it equally as successfully with year 3 and 4 as well. Children all choose an experiment to do (they can work with a partner) and carry it out at home, then write it up to display for the 'science fair' - usually a morning where all classes and parents come to visit the fair and any children with demonstrations get to show them. I have a video of this year's and 2015's available on our school website if you want to see what I mean but you'd have to PM me for the link.

We do a whole school experiment one day/half day as well, where children work in small groups to make something then test - it's usually a competition (we've done balloon rockets, fizzy drink bottle rockets, bubble makers, lollipop stick catapults - all have worked brilliantly).

Each class is expected to undertake an investigation during the week in their own time but should be something they wouldn't normally do in the curriculum. Science Association,STEM and science museum websites all good for ideas. I give print outs in a staff meeting and just say 'let me know the experiment and the resources needed by X date'

We trialled in one class this year (would be good for Early Years and ks1) setting up a carousel of simple science activities with instructions and inviting parents in to work with their children - all loved it.

Some schools have special guest speakers but we can't afford anything like that. We do a short sharing assembly for parents and governors at the end of the week where each class shows quickly what they did.

Hope that was useful! It was quite condensed and I'm trying to type from a smart phone - sorry!!

Edelr and Kartoshka like this.
  3. Volderama

Volderama New commenter

I'm a secondary science teacher but have a KS1 child so forgive my intrusion here!

I can highly recommend brushbot racing as a KS2 activity, they can design and decorate their own bots and then race them down a simple track made from metre sticks etc.

You don't need to buy the kits really, just the motors and then everything else can be sourced much cheaper from poundshops etc.
    http://makezine.com/projects/building-brushbot-kits/

4. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

Amazing ideas! Thanks very much,

:)

5. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I volunteered to be a STEM amassador and did 2x 2hrs on light and shadows for yr 3/4. STEMnet might be able to help depending where you are and who is available. My next 'project' is a giant science mind map that the pupils build as they 'discover' the links.

6. Cez24

Cez24 New commenter

Hi, wha do you mean a STEM ambassador? Did you go to other schools to lead projects?

A giant mind map sounds interesting !

7. robyn_banned_again

robyn_banned_again New commenter

You could do a STEM challenge using children from across classes. Give them a challenge and a range of resources and see what ideas they come up with. The classic egg parachute, make a robot, build a bridge to cross a span etc. Give them resources but no prompting.

Maybe an investigation and they have to use resources like fingerprinting, colour chromatography, footprints to match up.

Science fairs are fun but hard work for parents if done at home.

I would try and get away from "teaching" and just let them have as much fun doing science. There's loads of fun experiments to do such as extracting DNA, mentos and Coke etc. All experiments that don't need to be written down or to be discussed as a fair test which can make science really boring at this age. Keep it fun and interactive.

8. princess77

princess77 New commenter

Hi Cez24

We have had science weeks for several years sometimes with STEM people and at other times not. Parents are invited to a workshop with their child. Past projects have included making catapults, paper tables, balloon rockets... all sorts! It is a whole school competition and there is one winner per class (children often work in pairs). Small prizes that are science related are given out in an assembly as well as certificates! It all helps to promote science across the school with teachers, parents and children.

Good luck!

9. Edelr

Edelr New commenter

10. Edelr

Edelr New commenter

Hi I really like the science fair element I reckon it really would get the children interested and demonstrating their own ideas . Could you pm me a link to your 2015 science fair /sharing assembly ,kind regards Edel

11. dillydinsoaur

dillydinsoaur New commenter