1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science War of the worlds

Discussion in 'English' started by MissGoodison, Nov 8, 2017.

1. MissGoodison

MissGoodison New commenter

I was wondering if anyone could help with a question that i'm trying to pose to my students. We were looking at how three characters in War of the worlds use science to survive: The narrator and the artilleryman....The artilleryman would obviously reference his "brave new world" but is there anything from before this idea he has that we could use? Also for the narrator could you use the moment where he dives under the water as the heat rays kill people around him as a moment?

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Some ideas here: http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/AuthorSpecAlphaList.asp?BkNum=141

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

What about the crew of the Thunderchild? It talks about it taking down one of the Martian tripods, the shells would be fired from different angles depending on how close it was to different targets, so you are dealing with projectile motion (physics) and the shells will have explosives in them (chemistry) as well as there being maths and engineering overlaps in terms of the fact it's an armoured vehicle and the like. Ok the Thunderchild itself doesn't survive but if I'm remembering correctly doesn't it by escape time for a ship of evacuees?

4. i-mod

i-mod New commenter

5. i-mod

i-mod New commenter

Try OCR GCSE Literature resources - study guide to WotWs.