1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Tutoring In London

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by emmatemp, Jun 26, 2018.

1. emmatemp

emmatemp New commenter

Hi,

I am thinking of doing some tutoring in London for Science, with a particular focus on GCSE- in addition to doing supply teaching - I can also teach biology and chemistry ALevel but don’t want to do that atm

My question is has any one had experience of doing this and how has it been

Also how is it possible to find customers without joining a tutoring agency or has anyone started there own tutoring agency?

2. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

I tutor science in London. Around my area, Uxbridge, there are many Tuition Centres, which hoover up a lot of tutees. London seems to be saturated with qualified, experienced teachers offering tuition. On the notice board in my local Tesco last week, there several cards from tutors offering maths and science. If you look at a few of the online tutor sites, such as Tutor Hunt, you will see that, as @David Getling put it, 'everyone and his dog' is trying to get into the tuition market, some offering rock bottom rates. Many parents simply go for the cheapest option.

emmatemp likes this.
  3. emmatemp

emmatemp New commenter

Great thanks - yes I feel a lot of people are trying to escape the teaching workload and who can blame them or they need extra income to afford London rent

4. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

I tutor in NW london and hertfordshire. There seems to be plenty of demand for tutors and parents often ask if i know an english tutor, or a french tutor. They seem to find it hard to find tutors even though there are so many on line. I get a lot of enquires through recommendations so once you get started it keeps itself going. The best time to get new clients via advertising seems to be september or christmas/new year.

Have you decided not to pursue the supply agency business?

5. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I tutor in SE London (maths, physics and chemistry) and have plenty of students so there is certainly demand. For some reason there seems to be a particular shortage of biology tutors, I keep getting people asking if I know one.

emmatemp likes this.
  6. emmatemp

emmatemp New commenter

Hi thanks for that- that’s great you have got some work tutoring-I’m going to get a Facebook set up and I’ve jpined a lot of mums groups so will maybe start with trying putting ads on their to start

With regard to starting a supply business- yes I am still going to send out my CV etc to schools and contact them as I am really loathe to use another agency to take such a huge cut of money in my behalf- however I am finding the rules of IR35 really confusing and I think the legislation means schools would not be able to pay me through my limited company- I am seeking advice on this

I have often though about tutoring science in small groups and 1:1 and think perhaps tutoring may be less complicated with regard to IR35 if schools are not willing to take me on etc

7. emmatemp

emmatemp New commenter

That’s great - I can do general science and separate sciences at GCSE and Alevel chemistry and biology however I want to start initially with GCSE just until I get into the swing of tutoring- is there a market for GCSE or is it mainly for A-Level?

8. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

Yes there is a market for GCSE. Once you get established you should pick up students from word of mouth; the difficult part is finding the first few students. You're unlikely to get much now until September, but start advertising straight away as people may be looking to start lessons in September.

emmatemp likes this.
  9. emmatemp

emmatemp New commenter

Thank you- that is what I’m planning to do- I will putbasverts on various parent groups in Facebook and maybe hand out some leaflets in certain areas

10. Jolly_Roger15

What subjects do you teach, @tsarina? We operate in roughly the same geographical area but out experiences of doing so are very different.

11. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

hi @Jolly_Roger15 i teach gcse science mostly. some ks3 but the gcse is easier as there are more resources and it's easier to plan, A level is more work and very bright kids are faster mentally than i am now. This year i had 6 students doing aqa triple, 4 doing aqa combined, 1 doing edexcel combined, 1 doing edexcel igcse and 3 ks3 students. We did a lot of work looking at the practicals and a lot of exam question practise.

Most of my students work hard and we have a lot of fun in the lessons as I think they are way too stressed so usually try and lighten things up a little. I use a miniwhiteboard, lots of very badly drawn diagrams and silly scientific modelling which i usually make up on the spot to help them to understand. I get a lot of lessons where when i say "times up", their face falls and they say "already?" which is my standard for a good lesson and why i think i get referrals.

I'm enjoying a much reduced timetable now with only 6 lessons this week and a 5 more lined up to start soon. Most of my students have 2 or 3 tutors for different subjects. I am further north of you and the magazine i advertised in initially targets the really affluent suburbs (pinner, rickmansworth, moor park etc) where the parents don't really want the cheapest. i've done some delicate probing and i think most of the other tutors have similar fees. One of my students goes to a maths tutor who does 2 students at a time at £40 each! Apparently they get incredibly good results so are much sought after.

what's it like down in uxbridge?

12. Jolly_Roger15

@tsarina: I do not get as many students as you, and the numbers have been tailing off, in the last couple of years. Around here, there are tuition centres on every high street, as well as schools themselves, which seem to take a lot of the work. As @David Getling has said, too many people, other then teachers, are muscling in on the tuition business. if you look at the swathes of would-be tutors on, say, Tutor Hunt, you will see. Many parents just look at the cost of the tutor, not their qualifications, or experience.

I live not far from the 'affluent' parts you mention, like Pinner, Moor Park, Rickmansworth, etc.. I have had some students from these places but quite a few have been time-wasters and non-payers. I have had a bit more luck further out, like the Chalfonts, and Watford but the traffic makes the journeys as long as the tuition itself.

I started asking £30 per hour but few are willing to pay this now.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018