1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science topic with Y7 MLD

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Kimlouisedavies, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Kimlouisedavies

Kimlouisedavies New commenter

I start at an MLD school in September, teaching a small class of Y7 students, most of whom are working at the old level 1 or low 2.

My science planning says I should be teaching about speed, motion, distance and time.

I am not sure where to begin. They are not going to be able to access the formula for measuring speed and much of the KS3 curriculum is out of their ability level.

The ideas suggested so far are:

Compare and research speeds - horse, Olympic runner, walking, world records, etc.

Measuring and comparing their walking/running speeds (using technology to convert and calculate)

Speed tap for cars outside school.

What are the fundamental and very basic concepts/ideas/understanding that I should be teaching at the low level they are working at?

Thanks!

Kim

2. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

Hi Kim

this should be relatively simple, in that science itself is a wonderfully non age specific topic, so if you look at the related parts of the curriculum but for students who are likely to be achieving at a similar level as your students then that should work.

I feel like I've explained that in a very convoluted way. I'll try again, but I'm very tired at the moment, I suspect I'll just deliver another garble. Essentially primary school level work that is about speed, would work for secondary school students studying speed, because speed itself is not a 'childish' topic.

The scientific method is a great thing, it provides a wonderful structure to lessons, and often students with additional needs respond well to having a predictable structure.

You can create your own work within it.

So, the method in essence is:

Ask a question.

Predict the answer.

Work out how to test the question.

Identify what things will stay the same each time you do an experiment.

Identify which things will change each time you do the experiment. (Talk about fairness).

Do the experiment.

Record the results.

Look at the results and see if they help you to answer the question.

Think about what you could do better next time.

The first three work well as a circle time with everyone.

The next two - identifying the variables - work well in small groups.

Conducting the experiment and recording the results can be done as a whole class, or individually or in small groups, however works best for your students,

analysing the results and working out what to do better next time is your final circle time.

If you follow the same structure each session and label what you are doing as you go along you'll teach them the scientific method, which is fab. So just think of a question about one of your topics and go for it.

Good luck!

Jo

3. LCR1970

LCR1970 New commenter

Hi Kim,

How about some simple practical work?

For example they could calculate the speed of a marble running down a track (made by propping up two metre sticks at one end, with some text books, then running the marble in the little gap between the meter sticks).

They should be able to measure the distance (100cm) and they should be able to use a stopwatch to measure the time taken for the marble to roll down the track.

Then record the results and divide to calculate the speed. You could make a simple worksheet with three columns - distance, time, speed. They should notice that if they give the marble a push, or prop it up with more books, it goes faster, so it take less time.

Once they've got the hang of that, you could get them to calculate each others speeds running between two fixed points in the playground?

Hope this is helpful!

Lucy.