1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Teaching Career Advice

Discussion in 'Science' started by Robbers19, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Robbers19

Robbers19 New commenter

I may be moving into a role where I would be Head of Science and need advice, any recommended websites or companies?

2. msuxg

msuxg New commenter

phlogiston likes this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Third attempt to post this reply. I hope a fast connection on the "proper" computer will do better than the mobile did.
    Well done. Heads of science are important (as are several other people in schools).
    Thank you @mxuxg . Good advice (for all heads of department).
    First port of call would the ASE, RSC and Institutes of biology and physics.
    Secondly, keep an eye on the training provided by teachers' associations.
    These days, heads of science are in the middle. You need to lead and motivate one of the larger teams in your school. You will be scrutinised by SLT.
    Your SLT link will be very important, as they will be your key link upwards, defining the parameters of your job. They are not your friend, but a manager and advisor. I have known good ones and some who seem to making decisions to get themselves up the greasy pole rather than necessarily improving the outcomes for the children passing through science lessons. Ensure you know what is expected and that you have the tools and time to do your job. Knowing the ins and outs of the tracking software is probably a high priority.
    Make sure you have a buddy (another head of faculty?) who doesn't have managerial responsibility for you but can act as a sounding board and give advice.
    Sooner or later, you will probably have to give advice to a colleague to improve their performance. Try to do this sensitively and in a way that leads to improved performance. Having said that, I can think of a couple of former colleagues who resisted all attempts to help them.
    Good luck. Running a science department can be really good.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Phew!