1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Teacher or science teacher? Can scientists use grammar correctly?

Discussion in 'English' started by Longbow212, Jul 20, 2011.

1. This has been really bugging me............
    Many job adverts on TES for science asks for a "Teacher of Science" ( and not in the title/heading) and upon reading the application pack I come across things like "the Science Programme....." or "Science Department"
    My understanding is that only proper nouns should be capitalised and school subjects should be lower case unless they are a language.
    I would really appreciate it if someone who knows about this things could explain the correct use.
    Thanks

2. This has been really bugging me............
    Many job adverts on TES for science asks for a "Teacher of Science" ( and not in the title/heading) and upon reading the application pack I come across things like "the Science Programme....." or "Science Department"
    My understanding is that only proper nouns should be capitalised and school subjects should be lower case unless they are a language.
    I would really appreciate it if someone who knows about this things could explain the correct use.
    Thanks

3. you are correct as far as I am aware

maybe they capitalise to give the title more importance??