1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science schemes of work? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lou65483, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Hello all, happy December. I?m an NQT so I can?t co-ordinate a subject but next year I will be co-ordinating science. My head wants to buy a science scheme of work to improve science results. I?m concerned what scheme we are going to buy as I?m aware that most schemes have a lot of reading and writing from text books. If you have time could you tell me about the science schemes you have used and why they are good or bad? This way I can go to my head with a wealth of experienced teachers opinions and good suggestions of which scheme to buy. Thanks all Lx

2. Hello all, happy December. I?m an NQT so I can?t co-ordinate a subject but next year I will be co-ordinating science. My head wants to buy a science scheme of work to improve science results. I?m concerned what scheme we are going to buy as I?m aware that most schemes have a lot of reading and writing from text books. If you have time could you tell me about the science schemes you have used and why they are good or bad? This way I can go to my head with a wealth of experienced teachers opinions and good suggestions of which scheme to buy. Thanks all Lx

3. I am by no means an expert but as a new science coordinator this year I have just written my own scheme by going back to the NC building it around the needs of the school. The HT did give me time to do this (about 5 days over a half term) and I would not have done it if she hadn?t given me the time! Maybe this is an avenue you could explore? Could you and the current science coordinator work on it together? Any then you could use the money your head has offered to buy a scheme to purchase resources to support it!???

4. Thanks thats a great idea. Anyone else got any suggestions?

5. Louise, would you be willing to share with me as I need to write one as well and not sure what I am doing!
    peeceee@btinternet.com

6. It's teachers that improve Science results, not Schemes or Curricula.

We use Science Success and Heinemann Science Explore. They're both rubbish. All textbooks and worksheets. Most reference books beat them hands down.

To teach Science well, teachers need to know the subject matter, and be given the time to read around the topics they're teaching and to practise the experiments themselves.

7. Ginn star science has some good starting points.

http://www.heinemann.co.uk/Series/Primary/NewStarScience/...

we have done as others suggested and broken up the science objectives to fit in with our topics, rather than just teaching it in 'blocks' (can't help with that i'm afraid tho as i'm not science co-ordinator!). good luck.

8. senorcalvo

senorcalvo New commenter

Hi Louise1001 sorry to be really cheeky but could you email me a copy of your scheme if you don not mind as this is something i am looking to do over the Christmas and would love to get an idea as to how others have approached theirs.

arsenalchris@gmail.com
    Regards
    Chris

9. Hello Louise, could I be cheeky and ask if I could have a look at a copy of the scheme you have written?? We are looking at doing something similar and it would be good to see how someone else has started off. Thanks
    curled-up-cat@hotmail.co.uk

10. We've also used GINN star science, it's got lots of experiments, which make it hands on - especially 4 the younger ones in the school! There is also a lot of theory and plenty for the children to do. In fact probably too much if you ever get extra time, can bring a lot of it into Literacy.

11. You need to get into contact with Garry Granger. He is an expert on Primary Science and is so passionate about it. He runs courses at the institute so if you see any available go to them. I have his number if you would like me to send it just leave your email. My whole outlook on how I teach science has changed since going to one of his courses.

12. I have used star science in the past and it's really good. Very practical, lot sof sc1 etc.
    Louise, could I have a look at anything you've done. Be interesting to see what you thought!

andyknox1@hotmail.com

13. I know your comment is from ages ago but was wondering if you did get a copy of that scheme and if it was any use? If so could I be really cheeky and ask for a copy too?Thanks!
    lcstanway@msn.com
    Lisa

14. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

15. We have also started using the Kent scheme - trialled it last year and collected feedback from the children and teachers. All felt much more positive about science because of the increase in practical activities. This year we are moving over to it completely.

16. Hi,
    I was wondering for all those who use the Kent scheme, how do you go about assessing and tracking science. I am the science leader and am looking into changing and improving all aspects of science in our school. We are currently using the Hamilton Trust science scheme but it is not great and lacks practical work. The Kent scheme looks much better but I was wanting to know how to assess and track science using this scheme. Any suggestions would be greatly welcome!
    Thanks