1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Scheme of work

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sulas, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Does anyone use a fantastic scheme of work for science that they would be willing to recommend? I'm thinking something that covers the whole primary age range with chn's books, teachers notes/books, DVDs and possibly homework /work sheet type stuff as well - the whole thing.
    Just taken over as science leader and half of what we (should) have is missing and rather dated with videos rather than DVDs which are not much use now that we no longer have a video player.

Thanks for your ideas.

2. Does anyone use a fantastic scheme of work for science that they would be willing to recommend? I'm thinking something that covers the whole primary age range with chn's books, teachers notes/books, DVDs and possibly homework /work sheet type stuff as well - the whole thing.
    Just taken over as science leader and half of what we (should) have is missing and rather dated with videos rather than DVDs which are not much use now that we no longer have a video player.

Thanks for your ideas.

3. Blimey - we have just moved as far away as possible from the type of scheme you are describing due to being in Wales and having to adopt a new skills based curriculum as of last Sept (this Sept just gone in y6)
    All we have now is a set of medium term plans, some fab science practical resources and an interactive investigation planner for use on the IWB. The scheme concentrates on the children raising their own questions to find out about and then research in different ways or plan and carry out investigations etc related to them. We use a few of the new ACCAC DCELLS stuff as well as part of some of the schemes.
    As a science leader I feel comfortable that my staff are doing a sufficient amount of practical work and avoiding too much chalk and talk, but I bet a few of my staff who do not have science as their favourite subject would love a scheme such as the one you describe. [​IMG]

4. Hi Waterfin Tell me more!
    This does sound completely different to what has gone before and would be a huge leap . . . but . . . would also be very exciting at a time when we as a school, are ungoing huge changes.

Can you explain more about the resources, the interactive investigarion planner for the IWB?
    What are the ACCAC DCELLS? [​IMG]

Like you i htink there will be opposition to any change but we will have to weather that storm when and if it arises.

5. The resources are just equipment for the practical investigations they are doing - you probably have plenty already.
    If you PM me your email address I can try to send you the interactive planner - not sure if it will send as an attachment, but I can try. There are also sheets that accompany it.
    ACCAC /DCELLS are the optional assessment materials that are sent to school (and can be purchased online I think)...I believe CRIPSAT is the place that now produces them. I have some of the newer ones (which are the only ones that are still relevent as far as our new curriculum is concerned) that I have on PDF so can prob send too.
    I

6. hi, i'm a curriculum science leader of a recently amalgamated primary school (in Wales) and for the past year i have trying to put together a scheme that incorporates skills, range, topics etc!!! what you have sounds exactly what i'm looking for, so was wondering if you have developed any futher plans etc that u would be willing to share. thanks a lot!