1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Pupil Targets

Discussion in 'Primary' started by imanewteacher2007, Feb 23, 2011.

1. imanewteacher2007

imanewteacher2007 New commenter

Hello all
    I am about to trial using pupil targets for science in my year 5 class. Decided as coordinator for th subject I would do this first to tweak any issues that arise before introduced to the rest of the school.
    Was wondering if you do this in your school and if so - what do you do exactly?
    Have a few ideas: -
    <ol>[*]Choosing a strand from Sc1 and layering the targets for which will be a key focus in our next science unit (e.g. fair testing layering from understanding a fair test to identifying the controlled, independent and dependent variables) kind of like a must/could/should (although not a fan of the wording) or,[*]Individual targets for pupils based on their APP (seems quite long)</ol>Would appreciate your thoughts and responses on this. Also if you have any materials and would like to pass them on (!) would also appreciate
    boozybird40@hotmail.com

Thank you

2. imanewteacher2007

imanewteacher2007 New commenter

Hello all
    I am about to trial using pupil targets for science in my year 5 class. Decided as coordinator for th subject I would do this first to tweak any issues that arise before introduced to the rest of the school.
    Was wondering if you do this in your school and if so - what do you do exactly?
    Have a few ideas: -
    <ol>[*]Choosing a strand from Sc1 and layering the targets for which will be a key focus in our next science unit (e.g. fair testing layering from understanding a fair test to identifying the controlled, independent and dependent variables) kind of like a must/could/should (although not a fan of the wording) or,[*]Individual targets for pupils based on their APP (seems quite long)</ol>Would appreciate your thoughts and responses on this. Also if you have any materials and would like to pass them on (!) would also appreciate
    boozybird40@hotmail.com

Thank you

3. We use 'I can' statements in KS2 which are stuck in the front of their books. They are linked to SC1. Each time we do any tests they choose what level/I can statement they will work on and put it on a post it note. Then if they think they have achieved it they stick it on the piece of work, if not on the page next to it. I highlight the I can statement in full if I think they have acheived it and date it. Each term we focus on different elements of SC1 - eg predictions/conclusions/fair testing. It is handing to use the I can statement sheets when levelling the children at the end of each full term too.