1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Project Ideas KS1

Discussion in 'Science' started by wonreka1, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Sorry - long post to explain background....

Last year I took part in a Creative Science Project called 'Beach Classrooms' with Creative Partnerships. We did a topic on the seaside with Y1 and 2 and went on a beach trip.

We looked at and designed our own seaside creatures and worked with a story teller who told us about a mermaid etc.

It was all very good and inspiring, so much so, I have been invited to take part again this year. (As the funding didn't come through in time for last year, they want to do it as more of a reasearch project - find out about how learning outside the classroom / planning around a beach visit allows chn to be more creative in their learning....)

Anyway, so we have to do something beach based again this year in the summer term but I teach Y2 and (silly me) we involved the Y1s last year - so they have all covered seaside creatures etc already.

It has to be science based and revolve around a trip to the beach.

We are meant to be covering

Forces - pushes and pulls
    Animals / Variation
    Plants
    Local Environments

We can do cross curricular work (our History is going to be holidays and DT Vehicles)

SO far we have come up with a few (not very strong) ideas

Vehicles - make it DT test them on different surfaces - sand/pebbles/beach mat ???

Make boats - floating/sinking

but nothing that is really creative / inspiring has leap out at me yet and have to have a vague plan by May 3rd,

We get £150 funding to cover the cost of working with a creative partner (storyteller, artist, musician, film maker etc)

Any ideas (or even initial thoughts would be appreciated)

Thanks

2. Sorry - long post to explain background....

Last year I took part in a Creative Science Project called 'Beach Classrooms' with Creative Partnerships. We did a topic on the seaside with Y1 and 2 and went on a beach trip.

We looked at and designed our own seaside creatures and worked with a story teller who told us about a mermaid etc.

It was all very good and inspiring, so much so, I have been invited to take part again this year. (As the funding didn't come through in time for last year, they want to do it as more of a reasearch project - find out about how learning outside the classroom / planning around a beach visit allows chn to be more creative in their learning....)

Anyway, so we have to do something beach based again this year in the summer term but I teach Y2 and (silly me) we involved the Y1s last year - so they have all covered seaside creatures etc already.

It has to be science based and revolve around a trip to the beach.

We are meant to be covering

Forces - pushes and pulls
    Animals / Variation
    Plants
    Local Environments

We can do cross curricular work (our History is going to be holidays and DT Vehicles)

SO far we have come up with a few (not very strong) ideas

Vehicles - make it DT test them on different surfaces - sand/pebbles/beach mat ???

Make boats - floating/sinking

but nothing that is really creative / inspiring has leap out at me yet and have to have a vague plan by May 3rd,

We get £150 funding to cover the cost of working with a creative partner (storyteller, artist, musician, film maker etc)

Any ideas (or even initial thoughts would be appreciated)

Thanks

3. I am currently doing Surrey creative partnerships science project in year3 and we are basing a whole series of activities (12 days in all) around lighthouse keepers lunch book.
    Made big lighthouses (with working light) - 5 feet tall!
    Done magnets (how strong, electromagnet, find magnets under the sea with reed switch boats)
    Going on to springs (safety platform for when Mr Grinling falls off the balcony)
    Pulleys (get lunch to the lighthouse - uses Knex and string)
    Distress flares for ships in trouble (water rockets).
    Make small lighthouses including coloured filters so they look different in the dark
    Make light box and see what happens when light beams shine onto/through prisms, mirrors, jars
    Shadows made by the lighthouse - could Mr Grinling tell the time if he dropped his watch in the water.
    Only just started so will have more to report at Easter.