1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science museum Manchester

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gergil4, Jul 29, 2012.

1. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I'd like to take my 7 year old son to MOSI in Manchester. Has anyone been? Is it good? Is a 7 year old going to enjoy it?
    Thanks.

2. I should think so, large aircraft to look at, hands on experimental room, smellly sewers - should appeal to a seven year old. And for you, a really good cafe with the best food ever! ??

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

And steam train and stationary beam engines.

4. I took a 5 year old and a 9 year old there at half term and they both loved it! As it is free to get in and we used public transport to get there (tram to Castlefields) I decided to treat us to two of the extras, we bought a joint ticket for the 3D cinema and the simulation spade flight - quite short experiences but great fun and worth the extra. I understand there is a new attraction this holiday - a giant game of Jenga which looks interesting. Make sure you get there early and head for the hands on science for children area first as it gets really busy later in the day and you will inevitably want to spend hours playing with the exhibits.
    The Manchester Musuem near the University is also worth a visit on a rainly day, lots of traditional exhibits including mummies and dinosaurs and they also run childrens workshops in the holidays, we had fun last year making insect puppets and taking part in a treasure hunt around the museum.
    I think my nephew has plans for me to take him to the new Football Musuem at Urbis this summer but only if it is free!

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It is free.

6. Bit worried by a spade flight............ What could the next attraction be fork landing?

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Many thanks, looks like it's a dead cert then!

8. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

It was great! I can thoroughly recommend it and yes, it was good to get there early!

9. Aww. Glad you enjoyed it! ??