1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science... moving away from QCA

Discussion in 'Primary' started by purpleblue, Aug 8, 2011.

1. I've been asked to overhaul our science curriculum and move away from the QCA completely. I believe lots of schools have now made this change and wondered if anyone could give me any pointers for a good start? I'm obviously thinking start from National Curriculum objectives and divide out - we did try to include the coverage in our (successful) topic based curriculum but the science element hasn't worked well so we teach it separately. Any ideas gratefully received!

2. I've been asked to overhaul our science curriculum and move away from the QCA completely. I believe lots of schools have now made this change and wondered if anyone could give me any pointers for a good start? I'm obviously thinking start from National Curriculum objectives and divide out - we did try to include the coverage in our (successful) topic based curriculum but the science element hasn't worked well so we teach it separately. Any ideas gratefully received!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Way back, when we had the 'new NLS & NNS' I was told "Get a large sheet of paper divided into Terms, to print off the objectives and then move them around to which areas I wanted to incorporate them into. Whatever was left had to taught discretely.
    The same principle would apply here. Large sheet with columns for the terms and then rows for the years.
    Print off your NC objs., cut out and physically 'try' them in various places until your'e happy. Then stick them down. Then look at whatever you're left with and decide where to fit those in 'discretely-some areas don't lend themselves so easily,ensuring there's an even spread iver the years..
    Voila, you've then got your new plan.
    Other way when I did my French planning was to have 3 columns 1 grammar 2 taught through vocab for . . and 3 resources, so for Science you could have 1 Topic 2 skills & abilities to be taught 3 resources / suggestions for cross-curricular areas (ensuring progression through the years). Bit jumbled but it might provide a starting point?

4. I would also look at the resources on this website
    https://secure.ase.org.uk/membersarea/shop/layout4.asp?Child=Child&PID=253
    Their INSET is also brilliant as are their conferences!

5. Take a look at the Kent scheme - much more Sc1 based and some great ideas!

6. http://www.kenttrustweb.org.uk/ask8/ask8_primary_science.cfm

7. Great thanks all, the cutting/ moving objectives is similar to how we started our topic based curriculum so should work and the resources just need searching out! Hours of fun! Thanks again any more brainwaves gratefully received :)

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm doing more or less the same thing for next year in my school. I've used the Kent scheme as a starting point, coupled a little with what we already have.

I've done copying and pasting to move bits about rather than printing and cutting up...but similar principle.

The Kent site is fabulous!