1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Moderation KS2

Discussion in 'Science' started by Lauren1, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

I wonder if anyone can help on this? The primaries in my area are new to having Y6 this year. As such, we've not had the experience of either Y6 Science SATs or any moderation since their demise. Could anyone offer advice as to what sort of information to collect and how to collect it so that it's both manageable, reasonable and not paperwork for paperwork's sake? Are people doing Science APP or using old SATs paper, or bits of both or something else? I'm starting from scratch, as are other colleagues where I live, so it would be extremely helpful to have advice from colleagues in other areas who've been through the experience. The only advice I've had so far described it as a 90 minute interrogation where you'd have to "prove that so and so was a level 4" and be "grilled" to "justify" your decisions - their words not mine! I'd appreciate an honest picture from anyone who's been through anything to do with this.
    Thank you in advance!

2. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

Short answer to your question is ... I'm it (middle teacher that is!) However, I wasn't timetabled to teach Science, so this is new to me and when I left middle, there was still a SATs. Completely understand the comment about fighting hard, as been there, done that!
    Thank you very much for the advice. Already doing TA so will continue this with testbase questions at the end of a unit as if I broach doing a full SATs paper is just too taboo to even raise (don't ask!)