1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science misconceptions in EYFS

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tillc, Jan 13, 2019.

1. tillc

tillc New commenter

Hi, I've spent 2 hours googling it and come up with virtually nothing. I need to find one or two misconceptions in science, preferably in EYFS (40-60 months) and preferably related to springtime so that I might be able to address them in my next teaching placement. It's for an assignment. I then need to find ways of addressing them, if you wanted to give me any suggestions, but I'm not asking you to do the whole assignment for me, so even the misconceptions themselves would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

ChanChan123 likes this.
  2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Funnily enough the EYFS doesnt specifically addrees this.
    But, the obvious ones that comes to mind are
    Big things sink
    Metals are magnetic
    All plants need soil to grow.
    You can't balance a long or large plank or block on top of a small one

Is this the sort of thing you are after?

tillc, nizebaby and Stiltskin like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Death is the same as hibernation. (We found a dead squirrel and the younger children were convinced it was hibernating, no matter how much the older pupils and I used the term 'dead'. "Yes it is dead, but it wakes up in spring because it's hibernating.")

Though my class aren't yet sure that if they push someone, that person will fall over and likely hurt themselves!

tillc likes this.
  4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Seeds need light to grow.

tillc likes this.
  5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

A kilo of feathers is lighter than a kilo of stones - though that's probably for older children [as well as some adults!]

tillc likes this.
  6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Actually, OP, you've started a lovely thread, with endless possibilities!

tillc and ChanChan123 like this.
  7. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

That water sinks into the ground instead of evaporating is a common one!

8. StarbuckEducation

StarbuckEducation New commenter

Your dinner tummy can be full but pudding tummy still empty. :)

blue451, nizebaby and tillc like this.
  9. Hi,

I've worked with my reception class the past 2 years presenting them with foil wrapped objects in the a range of sizes (the smallest being a heavy weight and the largest a balloon) and have asked which of the 5 objects they think might be the heaviest and lightest.
    Some children have the experience to point out that small objects can be heavy but others who don't have many experiences might suggest that the foil wrapped balloon, because of it's size, is going to be the heaviest.
    It's a really fun session and after you've listened to their predictions you can let them handle the foil wrapped objects. The children quickly realise that size doesn't equal weight. 2 of the objects I wrap I also reveal to the children (an easy peel orange and a same size ball) one child pointed out to me that the ball is empty inside but an orange is full of juice etc so began to recognise ideas of mass.
    Anyway, hope this idea is helpful.

10. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

Surely both things happen. Where do you think underground streams and aquifers come from?

11. tillc

tillc New commenter

I really like that one! Thanks

ChanChan123 likes this.
  12. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Ice will not melt if you put it in the fridge.
    My children have been very puzzled by this!

13. gainly

gainly Senior commenter

14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

But this is actually true.
    I know! ;)

15. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

I don't understand. Is this not true?

16. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

But if pudding is ice cream or anything chocolate related it just melts to fill in the spaces between the chips you had for dinner.

17. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

we have had things like does the switch turn the light on or the darkness off?

Where is the sky at night?

how about colours? there is that old one about whether children can see blue, etc

18. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

‍♀️
    I was aiming more for puddles in the playground but will admit I hadn't considered the deeper mechanics of the things you had mentioned.

19. starmandave

starmandave New commenter

Solar System misconceptions include the Sun is solid (lava) the Sun is on Fire (no oxygen in space=no fire possible) the Moon goes away during the day (the moon is often visible in the day!)
    I cover all these and more in my planetarium shows
    https://www.mobile-planetarium.co.uk

20. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

That two men can have a baby together. :eek: