1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science lesson help (trainee teacher)

Discussion in 'Science' started by sophie_white95, Nov 11, 2017.

1. sophie_white95

sophie_white95 New commenter

Hi,
    I have a formal observation on friday abd it's a big observation so I really want to do well.
    I've been told that I will be doing a practical science lesson based on exploring how objects that can be stretched, twisted, bent or squashed.

I have not yet been able to observe a practical science lesson so I am extremely nervous and have no idea what to do.

It is a year 2 class and i will not have a TA to help with differentiation and LAs of the class do need a lot of support. I have been told to have clear differentiation and to include mini plenaries .... I feel so lost!

The only thing I can think to start the lesson is to do class predictions about different objects (yet to be decided on).
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you in advanced.

2. rehaank

rehaank Occasional commenter

Hi,
    Observations are daunting - but don't let this get to you! Be you!

I don't have any experience with a young age group such as yours, but, here are some ideas that may help..?

- Start off with what they predict may happen, maybe note down who said what and then compare at the end (go full circle):
    - Do a sort of drip-fed worksheet throughout: one with three boxes on it. At the start, what do they think will happen? Make some notes. Then, as they begin with the practicals, stop them in the middle and ask them to complete the middle box - what has actually happened? What have they discoveren? Then, at the end of the lesson, they fill the final box in with their reflections.
    - Are they going to be doing this in pairs/groups or individually? Differentiate with LAs here: pair up certain pupils so they can assist.
    - Challenge your HA students - can they explain WHY this has happened? What is each object made of?
    - You could print out fact sheets and lament them or whatever and stick them around the room in which you explain what each object is made of - then get students to look at what they're made of and try and suggest how that links to their ability to be squashed/stretched.

Sorry, i don't know if this is much help since the age group might not be exactly apt for all the above listed (!!)

3. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

Similar to above...long time since I taught Year 2 but I base everything on what's the progression...name things, describe things, explain things... (maybe not the latter for Y2!). I always even in Secondary start with checking what they know and they're keywords and assume nothing then get hands on and bring it together! Maybe it's a simple as picture of the objects you'll have and words to circle or tick or cards to place by the objects that sort of thing "I can squash it" "I can bend it". Good luck - science is tricky in primary...especially finding resources. Fun once you've done it once though and know how to get it to work! (Presume you've looked at the NC - it's pretty explicit on a lot of points).

4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter