1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science lesson help needed - Rocks & Soils (Y3)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Nov 20, 2011.

1. I'm to plan the Science for the other Y3 teachers. Last week the DH told me one of my year colleagues had been to him to complain that the Sci plan I'd handed over had been substandard (he told me it was fine when I asked!!)... Sorry, but how dull is this topic?! Finding it very hard to be inspired - PLEASE can anyone help?
    LO: 'I know that there are different kinds of soil depending on the rock from which they come.'
    QCA suggested activities:
    'Show a video or a series of pictures showing different soils. Ask children to compare these with a sample of soil from the local environment.'
    Lol, ya gotta love those QCA suggestions!
    So I found a nice video on BBC Learning zone, which kinda explains that there are different kinds of soil, e.g. the clay soil and the sandier soil: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips/what-is-soil/2215.html
    What would be awesome would be to do what she does - make the soil balls/worms. But hmm I'm not sure that strictly meets the LO because if we take soil from our school garden, that's going to be one type. That doesn't really get across to them that there are different kinds of soil, from different kinds of rock. And will there be health & safety implications for encouraging the chn to cover their hands in soil like that? Would I need to do a risk assessment, or would insisting they go, table-by-table, to wash their hands suffice?
    Maybe we could do (if it's allowed!!) the soil balls as a plenary - so they will be able to say what kind of soil is in OUR school garden and so what kind of rock it came from.
    But how to get across that different soils come from different rocks without putting them all into a coma is bamboozling me... Any ideas would be VERY gratefully received! x

2. Joi

Joi New commenter

Have you seen this website? http://www.virtualquarry.co.uk/index.htm It might have some ideas.

3. There was a really fun, exciting set of lesson ideas for this topic in the Primary Education magazine just before it finished. I'm using that as a starting point for my mini-topic in a few weeks. Will see if I can find it on-line because it really was great. Think the unit was called 'Let's Rock!'

4. Hey hey, thanks, all of you, very much for your replies.
    That quarry webste is the most oppressively difficult thing to read I've ever seen haha, but it does contain some lovely ideas. Am going to steal their idea for investigating soil through a worm's expert eyes in the last two weeks of the unit where we're basically sieving soil lol.
    I looked for the 'Let's Rock'; all I could find was this American teacher's planning - not sure if that was it? It looked jolly nice but it didn't fit this objective.
    xxxxx

5. Joi

Joi New commenter

Hi, I'm reviving this thread in case either Lilybett or Jumping Starfish sees it! I've now discovered that I'm doing this wonderful topic in science this term, and wondered if it would be possible to ask if you had any inspirational ideas that worked well in yr 3. So many of the links on various threads on the subject don't work any more.

6. I'm in the middle of teaching the unit now. Bizarrely, my children are loving the topic and are seriously enthusiastic about it! I should have my plans finished over the weekend so I can send them if you like. Also, if you go to http://www.kenttrustweb.org.uk/ask8/ask8_primary_science_kentscheme.cfm they have recently updated plans on there that have some fun ideas for activities to do. There are also resources that go with it if you go further down the page!