1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science - is it a core subject?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by PurpleBuzzard, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Does anyone out there know whether science is a core subject in primary schools at the moment? I know it used to be - but then the SATs were dropped, and today I was told it is no longer core in our school. I was shocked.

2. Does anyone out there know whether science is a core subject in primary schools at the moment? I know it used to be - but then the SATs were dropped, and today I was told it is no longer core in our school. I was shocked.

3. I think there may be a witch in my school. I had some ice in my orange juice, and I went to drink it after an hour AND THE ICE WAS GONE!

4. It's no longer a core but ICT is - that's the last I heard!

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Curriculum 2000 is still in force as far as I know, so Science is still Core, ICT never has been.

6. imanewteacher2007

imanewteacher2007 New commenter

Some information here from Michael Gove 20.01.11
    The new curriculum for English, maths, science and PE – which will place stronger emphasis on competitive sport and possibly set aside time for outdoor games – will be introduced from September 2013. Changes for other subjects will come into force the following year. There are currently 12 subjects in the national curriculum, including music, art, design and technology and citizenship, and the review could lead to some of these being stripped out.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It isn't in my school in terms of status, teaching time priority or resources. No idea about the national ideal though!

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It still is a core subject but wouldn't have been if the new primary curriculum had been passes by the previous government.

9. It isn't in mine either, and I think it's being de-emphasized more and more.
    In most schools is it the norm that a senior teacher co-ordinates/manages the core subjects (maths, literacy, science)?

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

In mine the SMT co-ordinate maths, English and PSHCE!

11. And what do you think of that? Does someone else co-ordinate science? I don't understand why science seems so unimportant at primary school.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm fairly sure the TES does not let me print what I actually think of it...but I co-ordinate it and it is less important even than art!

Drives me nuts!

13. Science remains a core subject and therefore should be taught for a minimum of two hours in KS2 and 1.25 hours in KS1. It also needs to continue to be rigourously assessed as Ofsted will still look at it and remember that a large proportion of schools will be selected for the optional SATs in science. The previous Government also released APP for science!!