1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Investigations KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 7cupcake, Sep 7, 2008.

1. I'd be interested to hear what you do in the way of science investigations as I'm struggling to think of something exciting and interesting. We have moved away from QCA science units and have been planning a creative curriculum. The topic this term is 'ourselves' and the science covereage (briefly) is: parts of body, senses, movement, food, exercise, animals.

Any ideas for investigations would be very appreciated!

2. I'd be interested to hear what you do in the way of science investigations as I'm struggling to think of something exciting and interesting. We have moved away from QCA science units and have been planning a creative curriculum. The topic this term is 'ourselves' and the science covereage (briefly) is: parts of body, senses, movement, food, exercise, animals.

Any ideas for investigations would be very appreciated!

3. I have done an ivestigation around pulse rate related to exercise with my year 2's in the past. We bought some cheap pulse metres on line

4. Loads of fun things!

Drawing sround body and 'adding in organsetc- then children can use diagrams in small world play- they can do 'tours' of the body using trains, cars etc Lots of opportunities for role play here too.

Investigations into tallest and shortest heights, biggest or smallest hands, legs etc.

Senses- food testing- experimenting with senses- holding noses etc- what happens? Blindfolded obstacle courses with other children giving directiions- what did you find hardest/easiest? How far can we make sound travel- telephones etc.

Movement- Heart beating faster/slower before/after exercise. Looking at how our bodies bend.

Food- using puppets who have a 'bad diet' what would happen? Creating a 'good diet' for the puppet and following for a week etc. Food diaries.

Similarities/differences between animals and why? Sorting, graphing. Mini beasts- observing through magnifiying and recording...

So many more but need to eat dinner! x

5. Thank you for the ideas and the link.

Posingpoodle - lots of lovely ideas that I can use in lessons.

I'm looking for something that can be a full investigation - hypothesis, fair test etc. My LEA has a huge push on this at the minute.

6. If you look at the NC for ks1 they only have to recognise when a test or comparison is unfair. This is one point out of 10. I am science coor and am trying to veer people away from focusing only on fair testing. All of the things I have suggested above link into the 10 areas of investigative skills required in Ks1. what I would do is brain storm all of my ideas, get the NC out and assign an objective from the SC1 strand to each idea so that your lesson becomes focused on a specific SC1 area. Remember fair testing in Ks1 can be as little as them suggesting that we cant compare boys and girls heights if we want to find out how big the tallest boy is! Don't get yourself too worked up about fair testing, it is more important that they have as many practical experiences as possible and that they have every opportunity to develop their technical vocabulary as this early stage. x

7. Posingpoodle - that makes me feel better! I have loads of activities planned like those you suggested but still felt under pressure to have MORE Sc1. I've come up with a tasy apple experiement relating to senses to make MY science co-ord happy!

Thanks for your help!

8. Here to help!! xx

9. hi, can you tell me about your apple experiment? may be useful for next term. thanks