1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Interview to do a practical or not?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by NaomiKelly, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Hello, I am a secondary science PGCE student and have an interview next week at a middle school where I need to teach a 30 minute lesson on atoms, elements and compunds to year 8s. This is my first interview and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to whether I should do any practical/demo work? I like the idea of being able to show practical capabilities but am worried about the time limit, and whether it is a better idea to try and do some other kinaesthetic activity with less worry over getting the correct equipment given to me etc. Any employers, do you prefer science teacher candidates to show practical skills if possible?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Naomi

2. I wouldn't do a practical to be honest. I'm only a PGCE student so not really in the know. But I think they'er after seeing your questioning skills and your relationship with the pupils. it'll be hard to gauge your relationship when they're all working on a practical. 30minutes isn't long, pracs can go wrong. I wouldn't. Demo it maybe?

3. Hey Naomi,
    It really depends on if you can think of a suitable practical that can be done (and tidied up) in a short period of time. I had 20 minutes for my interview. I got the class to do a mini practical and although it was a little rushed, the pupils enjoyed it and their feedback was very positive. I was told it made me stand out from the other candidates.
    In my opnion, I would try to get at least some of the kids out of their seats doing something (even if it is just writing on the board) or aim to give them a hands on task. Maybe for your topic a mini roleplay might work?

Adite

4. You'd be able to demo iron and sulfur reacting quite comfortably in the time and show the different properies of the separate elements. You just need to be careful to make sure that you don't generate too much SO2.