1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Science Health and Safety Help

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Grievanceatwork, Jan 12, 2016.

  1. Grievanceatwork

    Grievanceatwork New commenter

    Hi I am new to this site and wanted some advice on behalf of my son who is doing his teacher training. He has to find out about REACH in terms of safety procedures in the laboratory. I assume they are the body that produces guidelines for safe practice.
    Can anyone tell me a little bit about REACH/safety procedures/who is responsible (e.g.is it HoD of phy/chem/biol or overall head of dept/faculty), is reach mandatory and finally do they have to be a member.

    I have sorted listed these as he told me. I used to teach primary but haven't got a clue what he is talking about...so help please.
  2. wanet

    wanet Star commenter

    crogers85 likes this.
  3. Skeoch

    Skeoch Star commenter

    Had a quick whiz to the HSE website. Looks at first glance like REACH is pretty irrelevant to schools! COSHH is more to the point, I would think. CLEAPSS is the first port of call always; he should consider joining the professional body ASE www.ase.org.uk as well.
  4. phlogiston

    phlogiston Star commenter

    From the HSE website.
    Reach is EU safety legislation - not a body.

    CLEAPSS is the definitive source for schools and I've never come across a secondary school not registered with them.
    Safety is firstly the responsibility of every teacher, with head of faculty ensuring compliance and someone in management overseeing.
    ASE lab manual is a good start.
    Hope he enjoys his trainng.

Share This Page