1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science GCSEs from Sept 2012

Discussion in 'Science' started by mm38, Dec 12, 2011.

1. mm38

mm38 New commenter

Does anyone have any idea when the plans for the current GCSE courses will be finalised? My current understanding of the situation is that the current Year 10 will be allowed to complete their course in a modular style but they will be the only cohort who will be allowed to do so on the new spec. Students in the current Year 9 will have to do exams at the end of the course ie in Year 11 even if you had planned to do a three year triple science course these students will have to do terminal exams.
    At a recent AQA course the issue was raised with core and additional as these are one year courses and not two year courses. Do we know if these will stay but with exams at the end of Year 10 or Year 11 or will we go back to the old style double award science with 2 GCSEs awarded the same grade at the end of the course.
    All I know is that this is making it difficult to write course specs for GCSE options! I hope they make a final decision soon. Quite why they allowed the new specs to go ahead with modular exams this year rather than delay the change goodness only knows!

2. mm38

mm38 New commenter

Does anyone have any idea when the plans for the current GCSE courses will be finalised? My current understanding of the situation is that the current Year 10 will be allowed to complete their course in a modular style but they will be the only cohort who will be allowed to do so on the new spec. Students in the current Year 9 will have to do exams at the end of the course ie in Year 11 even if you had planned to do a three year triple science course these students will have to do terminal exams.
    At a recent AQA course the issue was raised with core and additional as these are one year courses and not two year courses. Do we know if these will stay but with exams at the end of Year 10 or Year 11 or will we go back to the old style double award science with 2 GCSEs awarded the same grade at the end of the course.
    All I know is that this is making it difficult to write course specs for GCSE options! I hope they make a final decision soon. Quite why they allowed the new specs to go ahead with modular exams this year rather than delay the change goodness only knows!

3. I am also confused about the new linear proposals. We are also AQA and have started the new spec with Yr 10. I am assuming this year group will finish all their exams in the modular fashion. However, i am not sure about next year's YR 10. Will they be linear?? Also, would it be possible to be linear (all exams in one go!) but not terminal (Do it at the end of Yr 10 instead of Yr 11??)

4. I hear the exam boards don't know for sure themselves, but it is likely that core will end in year 10 and additional in year 11. The terminal rules will mean that all the exams are in the summer, not much more.

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter