1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science GCSE required when moving to primary from secondary?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sulas, Apr 23, 2011.

1. I think you will find that those levels are for training so if you already have QTS that allows you to teach at primary your grades won't be an issue. - I teach primary but could move to secondary without further training (in theory).
    However, many of the more recent teaching qualifications seem to specify the phases you are qualified to teach to if you need to re train then your grades would be an issue and you would then need to re sit if you didn't meet the required level.
    Is a science grade C at GCSE still required since the subject was down graded - not sure about that one.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

As you have QTS and presumably a degree, no-one is actually going to look twice at your GCSE results.

But be very aware the competition for jobs in primary is huge. In secondary science there maybe 5-10 applicants for the less popular schools, 20-50 for the most popular. In primary there are 80-100 teachers chasing jobs in fairly ordinary schools, up to 200+ in the most popular.

You will find it hard to convince a school that you are a better option than the 100 primary trained and possibly experienced teachers that have also applied, especially if you are a few steps up the payscale.

I only know this because I moved from secondary to primary, but I also had the advantage of teaching in middle school for a long time. It is possible and there is no need for more training, but getting a job is a hard slog with lots of disappointments.