1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Fiction Must-Sees?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eva_Smith, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'm teaching GCSE Media Studies, I've just been informed, from September which I've never done before and am having a mild panic attack. Apparently the first unit has to be on Science Fiction and I have two major problems: 1) I can't stand the genre, 2) I've actively avoided it as far as possible since deciding that films with aliens, outer space and the imminent end of the world were just not my cup of tea.
    So, I need a crash course in Sci-fi.
    What should I absolutely watch in order to gain a good understanding of what science fiction is all about and what it's conventions are? Normally, if I was teaching a novel (nice, safe ground for me) I'd have a really broad background knowledge of references and information to draw on the help the kids' understanding. I'm afraid my knowledge of science fiction extends to about 2.5 episodes of Doctor Who and the woeful space film Armageddon.
    Help????
    [​IMG]

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

ET and Close Encounters - the best sci fi movies ever.

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

well you started badly, it can only get better.

4. short circuit, alien (might be an 18), terminator (terminator 2 is a 15 and the later ones might be younger), blade runner, minority report, irobot, total recall (18), day of the triffids (BBC series and recent TV film), solaris, hitch hikers guide to the galaxy, matrix x3, iron man and iron man 2.

5. If you are going to watch it, then alien, blade runner and terminator are a must.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I am not sure randomly watching films will be all that helpful. Try to look around for other resources first. Such as:
    http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/7951.pdf pages 9-13 is a good starting point.

7. OMG I forgot star wars!

8. And more importantly I forgot one of the greatest films ever made 2001: a space odyssey

Jurrasic park, men in black, tron, flight of the navigator, the star trek films and series, quantum leap! - if you have a forbidden planet shop near by I suggest a look

9. Crowbob

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/SCI-FI-FILM-POWERPOINT-3014021/
    There is a TES PPT that may be useful to look at.

10. Crowbob

http://www.auteur.co.uk/index.php?main_section=28&textentryid=154
    A relatively cheap book aimed at teachers, perhaps can be purchased for you by the department (given you don't have any experience in the genre).

11. lurk_much

if you can do the tempest you can do forbidden planet

12. Crowbob

Final piece of advice, post on the Media Studies part of the forum. You are likely to get a better, more reasoned response AND you may even be able to cadge a few resources.

13. lurk_much

Oi!
    what's wrong with my response?

14. Crowbob

Sorry, typed quickly and tiredly. I am not suggesting your response was lacking, apologies.
    I was pointing out that maybe it would be best to get subject advice from subject experts on the subject forum.

15. lurk_much

“You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon.”
    Chancellor Gorgon, Star Trek - The Undiscovered Country.

The translations have always made me feel this is probably true.

16. lurk_much

not required, I was amused.

17. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Thanks for the responses everyone. I realise that simply watching films isn't going to give me an encyclopaedic knowledge, but I think I should probably make the effort to see a few on the lists given seeing as I'm supposed to be teaching conventions. I think I should have plenty of examples to draw on for discussion. Nothing worse than feeling only half a step ahead of the kids.

Although I'm assuming that I'll be needing to show the kids plenty of films too as examples [​IMG]

18. I don't know much about sci-fi, but The War of the Worlds might be a good example as it was originally a novel, and then adapted into a radio play, film and musical.

19. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

All Star Trek TV Series. (Even the irritating Captain Janeway.)

20. Metropolis
    Moon
    Alien
    Close Encounters
    Solaris (original)
    The day the Earth Stood Still (original)
    Blade Runner
    Forbidden Planet
    Galaxy Quest