1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

science fiction genre at KS3..?

Discussion in 'English' started by NileFrog, Jan 27, 2006.

1. NileFrog

NileFrog New commenter

Does anyone know of any good resources on the science fiction genre for Year 7? I am going to be putting a scheme of work together (which I will happily make available to others who would like it when it is complete) and most of the material available seems to be more suited to older students. I'd be really grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    Kate

2. NileFrog

NileFrog New commenter

Does anyone know of any good resources on the science fiction genre for Year 7? I am going to be putting a scheme of work together (which I will happily make available to others who would like it when it is complete) and most of the material available seems to be more suited to older students. I'd be really grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    Kate

3. Monster Garden I think the author is Vivian Alcock but may be wrong. It's about a girl whose father is a scientist; she manages to grow a monster from a petrie dish sample. But it's really about love and loss.
    Also Grinny is excellent. Alien scout disguised as great aunt moves into boy's home, exerts hypnotic power over adults, kids have to save the day. Novel is in diary format.

4. Supernaturatlist - Eon Golfer.

My youngest (yr 6) read it and loved it, so should be OK for year 7. Should appeal to both boys and girls.

5. NileFrog

NileFrog New commenter

Thanks very much for the suggestions, will have a look at those :)

6. ...Something that you might like is 'A Sound of Thunder' by Ray Bradbury. It's a short story, I'm currently doing an SOW for year 9's with it but I reckon you can use it with high ability year 7's. Has the theme of time travel, and the consequences of altering the world in the past. Has great potential to give the class ideas for brochures offering time travel holidays. Plus it has dinosaurs in - which usually goes down well!

7. Thinking of doing the theme of time travel with my Year 7s next term. Wondered if you'd mind letting me have a copy of the SOW you mentioned for Sound of Thunder - sounds great - or if any one else has anything they've used that has worked well for this topic. Cheers!

8. Bligh-Boy, there appears to be a bad B movie version (2005) of 'A Sound of Thunder'. It could be interesting as a review exercise.
    If you felt so inspired, could I possibly have your scheme, too?
    phoebe167@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks for reminding me about this short story. I have been trying to remember what it's called for years. I can remember reading it at school. Fab.
    Is there anything I can offer in return?

9. Hand across the galaxy by Roger Zelazny works on many levels.

10. John Christopher would be great...'Sword of the High Seers' trilogy, also 'Fireball'...'A wrinkle in time' by Madeleine L'Engle....