1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science fiction day and Ofsted!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by doofus, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    We got the call today saying that Ofsted in next Tue and Wed which is fine by me. On Wedneday we are having a themed Sci-Fi writing day with a Dr. Who writer coming in and doing workshops with KS2 in the morning. However, I teach in a mixed Yr 1 & 2 class with no TA on that day, plus the head has chosen my class to come and observe with the inspector! So, to cut to the chase, can anybody suggest any exciting or engaging writing based activities which I could do during the day and especially the observed lesson before lunch.
    I was thinking maybe something on animation would be nice but maybe a bit much to take on?! Any ideas would be greatly received.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. Hello all,
    We got the call today saying that Ofsted in next Tue and Wed which is fine by me. On Wedneday we are having a themed Sci-Fi writing day with a Dr. Who writer coming in and doing workshops with KS2 in the morning. However, I teach in a mixed Yr 1 & 2 class with no TA on that day, plus the head has chosen my class to come and observe with the inspector! So, to cut to the chase, can anybody suggest any exciting or engaging writing based activities which I could do during the day and especially the observed lesson before lunch.
    I was thinking maybe something on animation would be nice but maybe a bit much to take on?! Any ideas would be greatly received.
    Many thanks in advance.

3. I'm sure people will give you lots of ideas on here. I'd advise you to do something exciting, by all means but don't do anything wildly different to what you do normally. This is a trap lots of people fall into and come unstuck big time. Inspectors ask pupils if they do this sort of stuff normally and pupils are brutally honest! Also if you do things very differently, pupils behave in unexpected ways.
    You're obviously a good and trusted teacher otherwise the HT wouldn't have chosen you for a joint obbo so whatever you choose to do, be yourself and enjoy it.

4. It's going to be a very different day to usual as it's a themed writing day, however I want to do something which will enthuse and inspire the children.
    Anybody got any great ideas or tried and tested things they have done before maybe in a space topic?

5. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

Just knowing my 4 year old loves the sonic screwdriver, could the children create their own 'screwdriver' or some other piece of equipment, LA draw, label with support, Core, draw label, 1 / 2 sentences about it possibly. HA Draw, label, say what its purpose is and how it works!!!
    Just an idea.

6. Thanks but a lot of my kids dont actually watch or know who Dr Who is, so I am going down the Sci-Fi line of anything to do with aliens, outer space etc but struggling for inspiration!
    Any help greatly welcomed.

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

How about inventing their own alien / hero/ spaceman, labelling a drawing and/or writing descriptive sentences about their character. This could be developed by including their character in a short story or drama activity. Perhaps hot seating their character?

8. greta444

greta444 New commenter

This would be for the whole afternoon and next day, obviously not all in one session !!

9. Like the hotseat idea.
    Now just one last plea for any more ideas........