1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science Fair

Discussion in 'Science' started by EBC, Feb 2, 2020.

1. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Hi all,

Im in a primary school, and I'd like to organise a multi school Science Fair. I'm planning on inviting a year 5 class from four or five local schools.

Has anyone organised one of these, or do you have any advice?

The initial idea I have is to ask each school to launch the idea, then they choose 2 projects, and bring those to our school for a community/multi school Science Fayre.

Thanks in advance.

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

look at the ASE resources, they have plenty of suggestions. Our class did plastic milk.

3. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

ASE?

4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What you need is a selection of good questions that can be tested and be fun. One that a child came up with and we had great fun testing was "can you tell the flavour of fruit pastilles if you are blindfold"? Lots of tasty testing, generating a load of data and opportunities for graphing and concluding.

EBC likes this.
  6. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

That's a good one. Would you give each school a list of questions like that, (I found a fun list online),

But before that, how do I get the schools involved? I was thinking to make up a flyer, and email or even visit the Y5 teacher. I just don't know if they'll go for it? And another question is should it be something done as a class or in school, or something they do at home?

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Difficult one. We did it in school and as a HW. You may have a problem getting other schools to put time aside for this. I would be tempted to invite the yr 5 teachers to a meeting, Then those that attend can discuss the format. That way those doing the work will have ownership. If no-one responds to your invite then just do it in house. I would get your HT to send the invites to the other HT's.

EBC likes this.
  8. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Valid points, thank you.

9. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

We do it in Y8 but reasonably transferable. I based it on middle school and elementary in the US though I know others do it here.

We let them choose a question then focus on an aspect a lesson after making sure everyone has a safe and workable question (doesn’t have to be science directly).

I’d be happy to share ideas / resources further if helpful. Feel free to message me.

blazer and EBC like this.
  10. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Thank you Evertonian. I really will ask you when I'm a bit further down the line. I just need to get started and I'm just a bit nervous as it's not just my school... How on earth do I approach other local schools? I've got the feeling that they'll just ignore me. Any advice is greatfully appreciated!

11. Evertonian

Evertonian New commenter

Maybe it’s worth just establishing a simple brief and seeing who responds even if it’s just something that is an extra for some kids?

I’d maybe just say to encourage scientific thinking and it can be any question. Maybe have an individual and a class category as some teachers might be more comfortable with a tighter structure.

I’d keep rules simple e.g.

Question
    Prediction
    Equipment
    Procedure
    Results (can include charts and graphs)
    Conclusion

We used to make displays on old cardboard boxes but they were tricky to move and dispose when unwanted. These days we write a report and make a poster to go with it like unis do these days for research.

tbh it could just be a poster about a question and answer to get the call rolling more easily.

EBC likes this.
  12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Maybe do it inhouse this year. Take photos of it to make a presentation you can use with other schools next year? Doing it inhouse will also iron out some of the wrinkles before you try and spread it. As I said before, get your HT to invite the other schools through their HTs.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Alternatively could you approach your local secondary? Ask their science dept for assistance (Many sec like to do outreach stuff). They might then approach their other feeder schools for you. If you are really lucky you might be a feeder for Evertonian's school!! LOL