1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science, Electricity - lesson obs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Scorchio, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I have a lesson obs next week - subject is Science, we are currently on circuits and conductors. Problem is that we have just about finished the unit - we have covered
    making a circuit
    making switches
    conductors and insulators
    making bulbs brighter / dimmer
    circuit diagrams and symbols
    really am stuck for ideas, focus is Sc1 and AfL - it needs to be a practical lesson, with lots of opportunity for AfL. Have been thinking about making fruit batteries but is that really 'science' as in the explaination of why they work. I am so stuck!!!
    Our next unit is habitats which i could do, but it would be the first lesson in habitats and again, am stuck for an investigative lesson that could take place in an hour or so - the lesson could be for the whole afternoon (2hrs) but only observed for the first hour.
    I have a year 4 class with some really bright children who pick up on new ideas very quickly and are really into the electricty unit, and some children who require a lot of support for writing but are great with practical activities. We have lots of equipment, I don't have any support that lesson, 25 children in the class.
    Any ideas would be brilliant.
    Thanks

2. Or I could move onto Moving and Growing or Friction next - just need a fab first lesson which ticks the boxes for Sc1 and AfL - just getting myself into a muddle, can't think straight as too much to think about!

3. DFC

DFC New commenter

Ask chn to make one of those games with the wiggly wire and a loop. You have to move the loop along the wire without it touching. If the loop touches the wire it make a sound or the bulb flashes.
    HA = no help
    AA = circuit diagram / hints
    LA = Your support.
    Can chn build it?
    Can chn explain how it works?
    Just a Sunday night thought!

4. If you want to stick to the fruit batteries you could look at
    • different metals for the electrodes
    • different fruits
    • fruit in series and the voltages produced using a multimeter (or by the brightness of a bulb)
    You could give the pupils different amounts of guidance and it would definately cover Sc1 and the AfL could be based around the feedback that they give / work produced (best fruit / electrodes etc - I've done this with low ability yr 7 and they have produced a survival guide based on fruit batteries)

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can you give them a problem that needs a circuit built to solve it?

Or get them to make a burglar alarm?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Or get them to think of a question/hypothesis to answer/test? Let them work in small groups and come up with their own investigation using the equipment you have set out at the front.

They come up with the idea.
    Plan it roughly
    Carry it out
    Present their results.