1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science display

Discussion in 'Primary' started by funambule, Apr 20, 2011.

1. funambule

funambule New commenter

If the school teaches a language, you could do all the captions in the language as well. You could record the words on some of the simple recording devices from TTS and attach them to the display.

2. Thanks for the suggestion but my class did French last year but don't do French this year so they'll all have to be in English.

3. DFC

DFC New commenter

4. Thank you! I've typed up the key vocab now and it's ready to print off. Does anyone have any ideas for how to make it really interactive please? I need something for the kids to do. The teacher suggested using flaps which sounds good to me. I'm just trying to decide what to do because it's such a big topic. We are going to have painted lady caterpillars in the classroom, brine shrimp, worms and probably ants too. I thought interactive things to do with them would be good but I'm not sure what to do. I have also been trying to buy some kind of whiteboard that will stick to the display wall and then peel off again and I have found small ones online but they're too expensive and I don't want to be spending a lot of money as a student. I thought it would be nice to record the progress in some way of the caterpillars. They're tiny caterpillars at the moment. I just want to make sure that the butterfly pavilion we have is used effectively and the children know exactly what is going on at each stage in the life cycle. If anyone can suggest something, I'd be really grateful. I'm really passionate about the topic. I'm not very experienced when it comes to doing displays and haven't seen too many interactive displays around school.

5. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

could you do a photo diary? different children on a rota could take a daily photograph and stick it in a book attached to the display wit a caption, or if there is space stick them up in a time line .

6. DFC

DFC New commenter

Have a look at the key word chases on the Sheffield Site - Lifecycles is there.
    I like the photo idea, but consider the time implications for you.
    Could you make/ find lifecycle puzzles for the different species you will have in the classroom.
    A big flower needing labelling.
    Odd one out word puzzles
    eg. water, carbon dioxide, sunlight, oxygen - plant takes in the first three as part of photosynthesise but gives out oxygen.
    wind, animal, water, seed, explosion - wind, animal, water and explosion are types of dispersal, the seed is what is dispersed
    I'll keep thinking!