1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science dept facebook group

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by hodgerj01, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm thinking of setting up a science dept facebook group open to Y9's and above.
    This would be used to promote science within school. We would add links to current news articles relevant to the schemes, upcoming programmes on TV/radio/podcasts and other relevant infomation (eg: Jupiter is visible beneath the moon tonight).
    Is there anyone out there who has already done this? What privacy settings have you used and is there anything to watch out for? I've spoken to the e-safety officer in school and he suggests I set up a trial group (unrelated to school) and see what the privacy is like.
    Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

2. Hi everyone,
    I'm thinking of setting up a science dept facebook group open to Y9's and above.
    This would be used to promote science within school. We would add links to current news articles relevant to the schemes, upcoming programmes on TV/radio/podcasts and other relevant infomation (eg: Jupiter is visible beneath the moon tonight).
    Is there anyone out there who has already done this? What privacy settings have you used and is there anything to watch out for? I've spoken to the e-safety officer in school and he suggests I set up a trial group (unrelated to school) and see what the privacy is like.
    Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I think you might be asking for trouble. If you want to do something like this then set up a website or VLE with the same things. In my opinion it is much better and much safer, for all concerned.

4. DM

DM New commenter

This is expressly prohibited in my Local Authority. Use your VLE - that's what it is for!

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

Agree so much with the two replies here! Facebook is simply too anarchic and open to abuse. I have seen much unpleasantness in it.

6. 007maths

007maths New commenter

hodgerj01 - I think that with the right planning and preparation, a group or page will be a great asset to your department.

For the reasons you have described (promoting Science... relevant information) the only use a VLE would have is if it had an RSS feed that the pupils could easily read. Facebook is a much easier way of getting the information to the pupils, rather than relying on the pupils finding the information on the VLE.

Here is a link you may find useful: www.onlinecollege.org/2009/10/20/100-ways-you-should-be-using-facebook-in-your-classroom/

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Facebook?

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

No, not Facebok - asking for trouble and as has already been said, would probably go against your school's internet policy

9. Karvol

Sigh...
    What is important with facebook is the age profile of the students you are dealing with. College in the US is 18 year olds and older. They are not under the category of children.

10. 007maths

007maths New commenter

Not entirely sure what you mean, but if it is that the link is mainly aimed at college age, are you saying that it (everything on the link) is all therefore irrelevant, and of no use to someone researching the possibility of using Facebook to promote Science to 14-18 year olds?

11. Karvol

If you want to set up facebook groups for children, usually in direct contradiction of official school and LEA policy then go ahead. If your school allows it then you have nothing to worry about - until some child complains about something inoccuous and you start wondering what is going on.
    All we are advising is to keep schools and facebook separate.

12. 007maths

007maths New commenter

Which is fine, no problem.

I'm just advising to look at the options and see how others have successfully implemented the use Facebook, rather than let a blanket 'policy' stop some research (the outcome of which could well uphold what LEA's say not to do in relation to Facebook).

13. DM

DM New commenter

We lost two members of staff last year because of innocent but misguided Facebook contact with students that went wrong.
    Our staff have all signed a document that states they understand they can be dismissed for gross misconduct if they ever use Facebook (or any other social network) to interact with students or parents. This policy did upset the handful of teachers who had children at our school or who had personal friendships with parents but we have had no further problems since this strong line was adopted. I would strongly advise the OP not to pursue this plan.

14. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

What a sorry state of affairs.
    It strikes me that a Facebook group would be an excellent way of really engaging with students - and there need be no risk if the settings are appropriate.
    For example, once the group is set up, it needn't be directly linked to any particular teacher's identity. There is no need for anyone in the school to be in direct communication with any individual student, other than perhaps through an unidentifiable generic profile and wholly open and public conversation and debate.
    I find it so irritating that schools and authorities take these excessive steps, essentially to cover their own backs, when actually some really innovative and exciting work could actually do something to improve the education offer we make.

15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

As has already been stated, there are alternatives to using facebook. Use them.
    Whatever the arguments about facebook, the bottom line for a teacher and their career developement is that there are clearly some arguments against it. So you are at an interview and you mention the good work you have done with Facebook. Are you Hero or Zero? You have no idea of the responce you will meet.
    If you feel you have to do it and have time outside your teaching duties, set up a web site instead. It will get you alot more House points.

16. tafkam

Yes, and there are alternatives to the telephone, but strangely not many of us rely on morese code these days.
    The fact is, if you can tap into what kids are already doing then you've a damned sight more chance of getting them involved with what you want. Students log on to Facebook in their millions and are more than happy to sign up to any old group going. They are strangely less excited about logging on to the school VLE.

17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

You are probably correct in your view about facebook being attractive to students, but that doesn't invalidate my point about it's possible impediment to career development.
    This string has shown that there is antagonism towards facebook in the education sphere pure and simple, so why chance it? We can not carry the whole world on our shoulders.
    But it is of course your decision.

18. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

Umm -- and I''m afraid I have to fess up that I can send and recieve Morse code (though not very well).

19. tafkam

Not mine. I work with students in middle school, before they are officially allowed to use Facebook. For that reason alone, regardless of how of them break that rule, I wouldn't even think about using it.
    But if I were teaching older students, then I'd be disappointed to be stopped from venturing on what could be an excellent project just because someone who hasn't paid it any thought bans it irrationally.

20. DM

DM New commenter

Wow you seem stunningly naive on this issue taf. This is not an attribute I have ever associated with you before. Surely you realise what we are getting at?