1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Science could be undermined by rapid expansion of academies and free schools

Discussion in 'Science' started by phlogiston, Apr 27, 2011.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

But they'll have to take the same GCSEs as everyone else, and for the last 20 years, science has been one of the subjects that "everyone" takes at some level or another.
    P

2. In days of yore, before the National Curiculum was even thought about by the government, teachers were allowed to teach what they wanted and their professional integrity was relied on to ensure that pupils were taught what they needed to know to take their places in the world when they reached adulthood. Of course all secondary schools were expected to prepare their pupils for GCE, CSE or latterly GCSE examinations. For these syllabi were published by the relevant examination boards specifying with what pupils were expected to be familiar with. These were the constraints applied to teaching for many years and it is only fairly recently that teachers have been bashed by the government who have decided that they don't know how to teach. This has meant that the government has had to find out how to do it themselves and then tell the teachers how they expect it to be done, using Ofstead to wave the big stick and make sure that teachers put aside their professional expertise and do exactly what the government told them.
    No - good science teaching will not be lost when the independent academies take over, the exam syllabi will still govern what is taught and, hopefully, the teachers in these schools will regain their professional respect and skills by being left alone to do the job that they are paid to do.
    I left full time teaching before Ofstead was introduced. In my last year I had the privelege of being inspected by an HMI team. I was treated as a professional - as were the rest of us. Our concerns were listened to, constructive advice as a result of the inspection was given and the HMI team left us all (including senior management) a better and more confident teaching force.
    I'll say no more!

O.C.